• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 18, 2024, 10:35:13 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Saison Kit

Started by AJ_Rowley, June 18, 2014, 10:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ_Rowley

Yesterday was an eventful day. Got 2 kits on the go and bottled a batch made from the second runnings of GCB Wee Heavy. That's been sitting there since march(I think) so niot sure how it will turn out though tasted nice on bottling.

Anyway onto the kit I hacked. I had seen on another forum people had adapted a couple of coopers kits to make a saison. Looking at the end result it was a lot darker than I would like, so I modified it a little bit.

Ingredients:
Coopers Pilsner Kit
Cooper's Wheat Beer kit
500g light DME
50g Saaz hops
500g Brown sugar(not in original hack but wanted to help dry out the beer)
Belle Saison Dry yeast.

As usual got everything cleaned and sanitised. Put the 2 cans to steep in how water to soften the extract

Then put 3L of water to boil in a large pot. As it was starting to heat up I added the sugar and DME.

Once up to a boil I added the hops and boiled for 10 minutes. Meanwhile I rehydrated the yeast in cooled boiled water.

Coming up to the end of the boil I opened up the 2 cans and emptied the contents into the fermenter. Then I strained the the wort into the fermenter and topped up to the 23L mark.

Took a gravity reading and came out at 1060. Also took a sneaky taste and must say this should be a promising brew.

Took a temperature reading and once down to 23°c I pitched the rehydrated yeast.

Was bubbling furiously 6 hours later.

I will keep this updated as it progresses. I'm debating whether to dry hop this one, was thinking maybe throw in some Amarillo.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Belle Saison doesn't need any help drying out a beer. You should have skipped the sugar.

Your 1.060 beer, is probably going to finish out at about 1.005 (or possibly lower). You could be hitting an 8% saison!

Also, 23C is on the high side to pitch. I would have pitched it lower, and then let it rise on its own.

AJ_Rowley

Lol ah well. First time using this yeast so we'll see how it goes. I could always add some water after primary is finished

nigel_c

It's a great yeast. Have had good results with it. I pitched high and raised to 30 over a week or so. Mine dropped from 1.060 ish to 1.004. It's really is the time to brew saisons. Was planning in some some pale ales over the next few days but that's not going to happen now. Saisons and wheat beer it'll have to be.

AJ_Rowley

Just bottled this after 2 weeks in primary and 1 secondary. Down to 1006 so giving me 7.1% abv. Smelled and tasted really nice. Looking forward to this one.