• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 10:28:08 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

BIAB-Hickey's muslin

Started by winstonia, July 07, 2014, 12:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winstonia

July 07, 2014, 12:35:50 PM Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 12:53:53 PM by winstonia
It's about €4 for 2x2m squared of their muslin, would you think this would be strong enough to hold the grains for a BIAB method, 5 gallons?

Taf

It probably would be strong enough, but might be lucky to get more than one or two uses of it. Better off going for voile which hickeys probably also sell, as will last for ages.

MisterBurns

I'd suggest looking up CustomBIAB - they are an affiliate of the club and while more expense than the €4 from Hickey's they are long lasting, well made and haven't let me down yet

winstonia

Ah cool, I can get a friend to do the stitching saving me a bit of cash from the custom BIAB site

baphomite51

they've got them on thehombrewcompany site iv got one and iv done about 10 brews with it now in my 33L pot, it fits perfect and does a great job and cost me about 9 euro, well worth it

LordEoin

I've been using a paint strainer for my extract brews and it's doing a great job

winstonia

Quote from: irishrover32 on July 08, 2014, 07:38:28 PM
they've got them on thehombrewcompany site iv got one and iv done about 10 brews with it now in my 33L pot, it fits perfect and does a great job and cost me about 9 euro, well worth it

Have you got a link? I searched but couldn't find anything bar their hop bags

Eoin

Muslin is never good it will rot within a few brews, it doesn't like the high temps of the mash.

You can however get swiss voile in hickeys which is perfect for the job.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Consider having a large bag just for hop additions. Doesn't need to take the weight, hops are loose for better utilisation, but you can easily remove them before transfers