• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 12:31:30 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Dublin city center water Profile

Started by beerfly, September 18, 2014, 01:07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beerfly

September 18, 2014, 01:07:06 PM Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:28:09 PM by beerfly
Following on from testing peoples water in TOG this is the water profile i use.  its a best guess but alot more accurate then the beersmith default.
I could only test the PH and bicarbonate (CaCO3) the rest of the numbers i took from a water profile i saw on beoir or boards that matched my readings

This is for the vartry/ballymore supply so should apply to the south city and parts of dublin 1 + 3

Dublin, Ireland

Calcium: 20.00 ppm
Sulfate: 35.00 ppm
Magnesium: 1.50 ppm
Chloride: 25.00 ppm
Sodium: 12.00 ppm
Bicarbonate: 32.00 ppm
PH: 6.80   

DEMPSEY

If he is reading this I seem to remember Will_D getting his kit together so he could set up a test lab for brewers. 😤
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Bubbles

Ronan, any chance you could bring your testing kit to the DH next time you're in? We could do a little workshop... and drink at the same time...

molc

How much does the profile of the water change over the year? I seem to recall reading somewhere else that city supplies can vary quite a bit from brew to brew.

If it doesn't vary a lot, I've love to get info on the supply in Raheny :)

EDIT: From the council website, it seems to be supplied by VARTRY/BALLYMORE:
http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content//WaterWasteEnvironment/DrinkingWater/Documents/WaterSupplyAreas.pdf
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

ferg

Quote from: beerfly on September 18, 2014, 01:07:06 PM
Following on from testing peoples water in TOG this is the water profile i use.  its a best guess but alot more accurate then the beersmith default.
I could only test the PH and bicarbonate (CaCO3) the rest of the numbers i took from a water profile i saw on beoir or boards that matched my readings

This is for the ballymore eustace supply so should apply to the south city, dublin 1 and parts of dublin 3 + 9

Dublin, Ireland

Calcium: 20.00 ppm
Sulfate: 35.00 ppm
Magnesium: 1.50 ppm
Chloride: 25.00 ppm
Sodium: 12.00 ppm
Bicarbonate: 32.00 ppm
PH: 6.80

I believe this is the same for Dublin 7 as it's Ballymore Eustace also.

beerfly

Quote from: Bubbles on September 18, 2014, 01:44:13 PM
Ronan, any chance you could bring your testing kit to the DH next time you're in? We could do a little workshop... and drink at the same time...

yea i will.

Quote from: molc on September 18, 2014, 02:04:01 PM
How much does the profile of the water change over the year? I seem to recall reading somewhere else that city supplies can vary quite a bit from brew to brew.

If it doesn't vary a lot, I've love to get info on the supply in Raheny :)

EDIT: From the council website, it seems to be supplied by VARTRY/BALLYMORE:
http://www.dublincity.ie/sites/default/files/content//WaterWasteEnvironment/DrinkingWater/Documents/WaterSupplyAreas.pdf

could not remember where i saw that map need to save it.
Im on the vartry/ballymore supply (updated first post) and it does not change.

Quote from: ferg on September 18, 2014, 02:20:35 PM

I believe this is the same for Dublin 7 as it's Ballymore Eustace also.

ballymore and vartry/ballymore seem almost identical

molc

Thank you. That is probably one of the most informative posts I've had on here :D

Of course, all it means is now I'm going to start looking at water treatment. I'm guessing bar when doing an IPA, it won't really matter too much for extract...
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

baphomite51

does anyone have a definitive answer weather or not the supply changes. if not you can get a water check for 28 euro from here: http://www.murphyhomebrew.com/laboratory-services/water-analysis/prod_104.html

maybe if we all pitched in it could be worth our while but if the water varys its pointless, right now im buying water from tesco which is a pain and im not even sure if the label is accurate which is frustrating

baphomite51

guess ill stick with the tesco water so ha

cheers

cruiscinlan

Was there any further work or tests done on this by members?  There's various feedback on tests as well, someone saying that the Murphy version in the UK doesn't give enough detail.

Or would you be better skipping this and just using a ph buffer solution?

armedcor

Nearly everything I've read on HBT etc seems to say ph5.2 is a load of rubbish i can never work out why.

auralabuse

Quote from: armedcor on April 19, 2015, 12:05:30 AM
Nearly everything I've read on HBT etc seems to say ph5.2 is a load of rubbish i can never work out why.
Could you just get a ph tester and test the mash?

Conor84

Hi Beerfly,
Thanks for posting this report. I'm quite new to homebrewing (about a dozen extract batches under my belt) but I have been reading up on water profiles and was very curious as to what my own water profile was like. I live in D6 so this information is extremely helpful.
Would I be right in saying that the Calcium and Sulfate levels are a bit on the low side?
I've found that I'm not getting the hop flavour I was expecting from my brews, even when I use large late hop additions, and I've read that my water profile could be the reason for this. Would using Calcium chloride and Gypsum help balance out the water profile?
Or is it just easier to use bottled water, Tesco do 5 litre bottles for 1.29; this seems like an inexpensive solution.... Or does it even make that much of a difference?

cruiscinlan

Quote from: Conor84 on April 19, 2015, 11:51:12 PM
Tesco do 5 litre bottles for 1.29; this seems like an inexpensive solution.... Or does it even make that much of a difference?

Ouch, that adds an extra E6.80 to the brew on top of everything else though.

Is there any appetite/point to grouping up for an analysis?  I'm on the Leixlip supply myself.