• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 10:17:44 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

What can you do with regular breakfast porridge oats?

Started by Simon_, October 08, 2014, 01:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon_

I have read that you can't just throw regular breakfast porridge oats like these from Aldi into a mash because they haven't been gelatinised

I know there are Quick Oats but the regular ones are the ones I have at home.

So if you must cook oats, does that mean boiling them in water for 5 minutes or should it be at a lower temperature? Should you cook them in alot of water so they are less clumpy rather than how they'd normally be eaten?
Can you then just add them to your mash?

I've seen recipes with toasted / roasted oats e.g. this one
Does toasting oats provide the necessary gelatinisation?

imark

I think they are gelated since they're rolled oats. I've used it on plenty of batches.

Here's a link to Flahavan's http://www.flahavans.ie/index.php/site-structure/main-menu/our-products/porridge-oats/porridge-oats/flahavans-progress-oatlets/381 and I assume they same is probably true of other brands also.

Damien M

I've used them a good bit too. I try get the Jumbo Oats Version as they are substantially more Jumbo, but if I don't have them then the Odlums or the Flahavans  go in. Lidl deffo has the Jumbos. 

Simon_

Thanks. So you are both saying you just add them in like any other grain?

Gugs44

Was wondering bout this myself coz doing a coffee and oatmeal stout next, that's great that I don't have to order oats from a HB store

Would 300g suffice as it's just HBC stout kit so I didn't do the recipe, I'm adding to get that silkiness to the stout

Shanna

Quote from: groom on October 08, 2014, 03:02:44 PM
Thanks. So you are both saying you just add them in like any other grain?
I have used up to 500 grams of them with good results. You will get loads of creamyness in the head of the pint especially when you serve it on Nitro. I would go for an Irish stout recipe as I find the American one is a bit too dry for my liking.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Gugs44

It is the extra Irish stout kit I'm using, I know it'll bump up my ABV% but shouldn't b too bad

Thanks Shanna, il go with 500g even though il b only bottling and priming with boiled sugar solution, should still have a nice texture though

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Gugs44 on October 08, 2014, 04:12:17 PM
Was wondering bout this myself coz doing a coffee and oatmeal stout next, that's great that I don't have to order oats from a HB store

Would 300g suffice as it's just HBC stout kit so I didn't do the recipe, I'm adding to get that silkiness to the stout
Is this a kit as in a tin. The problem with oats is mashing them,think of how porridge looks when you try to pour the milk in :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Gugs44

No Dempsey. It's an AG kit Olgas Irish stout by homebrewcompany...just gonna add the oats to my mash and then the coffee bit by bit to the secondary until I get to the flavour I'm happy with

DEMPSEY

Aah lovely so,can't bate an oatmeal stout but just keep your addition to around 5 to 10% of total grist content. You don't want it to be too silky as that is a bit ugh :)

Gugs44

10% is my aim but didn't do the recipe on BS myself, I suppose I could just weigh the bag of grain and do it that way to get my % bang on

Would you agree on cold brewing the coffee and adding it as I plan on doing, I do like coffee stout but found the Franciscan well a bit overpowering

DEMPSEY

There seems to be varying views about this and plenty of recipes out there. One thing is since your making a stout your using roasted grains and the roasting has already imparted a coffee like taste to your brew. Since you don't like fran wells one try and find out what they did and it will inform your direction to go. The Cork lads should know what the fran did. :)

imark

I've used up to 25% oats in bigger oatmeal stouts. It depends what you're after really. Be adventurous

Gugs44

Something along the lines of Mikkeller beer geek would b sweet, cheers lads

imark

Then you should up you oats I reckon. There's a recipe published by mikkeler for that in a book recently. Don't have a link to hand but Google will sort you out