• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 02, 2024, 07:25:22 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Repurposed my extract kettle today

Started by raindogxx, October 29, 2014, 06:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr hoppy

Bubbles

Quote from: raindogxx on October 29, 2014, 06:22:49 PM
BTW, anybody where I can get some decent chili peppers? I'm low on supplies and I need my Tex-Mex!

I occasionally treat myself to a few packets of dried chillies from the UK's Cool Chile Co. I always get them from Fallon & Byrne (which is why they're an occasional treat!) but you can order online. Not sure what the postage costs are.

I love a mix of chillies: ancho, habanero and chipotle. With some fresh chillies too if i have some. I think the chipotle really makes it special.

Bubbles

OP, you could try these. I haven't ordered from them myself, but they have a nice range of stuff, if you're into your chillies:

http://www.mymexicanshop.ie/

raindogxx

Quote from: Bubbles on October 30, 2014, 01:49:07 PM
OP, you could try these. I haven't ordered from them myself, but they have a nice range of stuff, if you're into your chillies:

Thanks for pointing me to this. I've looked before but I couldn't find any vendors in Ireland. Shipping is 6 euro flat and free over 50 euro. I owe you a pint (or a bowl of chili!).

Let the restocking begin!

Jon

johnrm

Quote from: mr hoppy on October 30, 2014, 12:34:12 PM
Quote from: raindogxx on October 30, 2014, 11:04:21 AM
Experiments in Methane Production by johnrm

Haha. He was asking for that.

Combined with a couple of my dodgy ales...

Explosive.  :o

Bubbles

Quote from: raindogxx on October 30, 2014, 02:58:02 PM

Thanks for pointing me to this. I've looked before but I couldn't find any vendors in Ireland. Shipping is 6 euro flat and free over 50 euro. I owe you a pint (or a bowl of chili!).

Jon

No bother! No pint necessary, but I'm interested in how you make your chilli. It's a bit of a staple in our house, so I'm always looking at ways of improving how I do it.

One of my tips is to use mexican oregano, not the Mediterranean stuff. As you might know already, they taste completely different.

Might put in an order myself from that shop.

lordstilton

Plus 1 on my Mexican shop.. Great site

ronanp

Grew some jalapeño and ring of fire this year and smoked a load for Chipotle. Would highly recommend it. Lovely stuff alltogther.

raindogxx

Quote from: Bubbles on October 30, 2014, 07:08:21 PM

Quote from: raindogxx on October 30, 2014, 02:58:02 PM

Jon

No bother! No pint necessary, but I'm interested in how you make your chilli. It's a bit of a staple in our house, so I'm always looking at ways of improving how I do it.

One of my tips is to use mexican oregano, not the Mediterranean stuff. As you might know already, they taste completely different.

Might put in an order myself from that shop.

I updated the recipe with some more detail and tried to clean it up a bit, the format is a bit unorthodox. I love my spreadsheets. :)

Here it is if you missed it above:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar3HJkoPyyD3dGZlLWNvMEpkaTFVZVo5cjU0TTFCLUE&usp=sharing

Let me know if you have any questions or if the access is screwed up again.

Jon

raindogxx

Quote from: ronanp on October 30, 2014, 09:45:44 PM
Grew some jalapeño and ring of fire this year and smoked a load for Chipotle. Would highly recommend it. Lovely stuff alltogther.

I've been thinking about doing this myself. Did you grow them outside? Did you have many plants? I need to look into it more.

ronanp

Grew them in a polytunnell, I would say i had around 15 plants between the jalapeño and ring of fire. Had planted some Hungarian wax but they failed to germenate. Kept them in pots as I moved house aftway through growing season. Next year i will probably plant a few less but plant them in the ground inside the pollytunnel and let them grow into bigger plants.

The only problem with them is they seam to attract every single green fly around. Which on the brightside is good as to can spot a build up and resond quickly before they move onto the tomatoes. A spray once a week with a garlic and soap solution seamed to keep on top of it this year.

Smoked them for around 7 or 8 hours in the BBQ, adding in a few hot coals and a fresh log  every now and them. Then finished them off, drying them in an oven bearly on till they flaked easily in your hands. Fantastic stuff in sauces and dips. Even a small amount had a big impact flavour wise in the chilli and not to hot as it was mainly jalapeño in the Chipotle.

Bubbles

I've got a bit of a spreadsheet fetish myself, but that.. is way out there dude! Highly organised! :)

Recipe looks great. I like the vinegar addition; I think my last attempt was missing some acidity.

Ohnidog

I realise I'm posting to an old thread but I've currently got some dried mexican chillies I brought back from mexico this summer. From my own previous trials mexican chillies haven't done well for me in pots in a green house, even with 2 year old plants. I'd imagine a polytunnel might be better (root growth, humidity etc.)
I can post seeds if anyone's interested in giving them a go. I've currently got Ancho, Pasilla (smoked so may not germinate), Guajillo and Amarillo, all from Oaxaca

johnrm

I'd be interested in chili seeds ohnidog. I'll PM postal address, thanks!

Taf

I'd be interested as well, so just send a few extra of each to johnrm, if you have them spare. Cheers.