• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:44:06 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

How do I make it stronger?

Started by JayMc, November 23, 2014, 12:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayMc

Yesterday I got Bulldog's Four Finger Jack. This is only my second kit and it is supposed to turn out at 4.6%ABV.

My question is, is there anyway to increase the percentage? Do I add extra sugar or something?
Head Brewer
3 Brewers, Toronto

johnrm

Add more sugars.
Use less water.
Use a more attenuative yeast.

mr hoppy

DEMPSEY

Sugar alone will just make it a bit thin and only give you alcohol with nothing else by way of flavour. Try adding DME
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Bubbles

Brew it short, to 21 litres instead of 23. More alcohol, but more flavour and body too.

JayMc

Thanks for the advice everyone. I would like to add some DME (if only I had some) but today is the only day I can start the brew and I refuse to wait till next Sunday  :P

I am just going to make 21 Litres instead of 23 in the hope that it will bring it to around 5%.

Quote from: johnrm on November 23, 2014, 12:22:27 PM
Use a more attenuative yeast.

I am completely clueless when it comes to different types of yeast. For now I will just use the one included in the kit and research variations of yeast for the next kit.

Thanks again everyone for all your help.
Head Brewer
3 Brewers, Toronto

irish_goat

You can add DME later on if you really want. Just boil it for 10-15 minutes in some water, let it cool and then add it to the fermenter.

LordEoin

JayMc

Quote from: irish_goat on November 23, 2014, 03:46:24 PM
You can add DME later on if you really want. Just boil it for 10-15 minutes in some water, let it cool and then add it to the fermenter.

Does it matter at what stage I do this? Should it be done before the krausen appears? Also any suggestion on what type of DME to use?

Head Brewer
3 Brewers, Toronto

irish_goat

Nah you can do it at pretty much any stage now. I'd use light or extra light DME for a pale ale kit.