• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 19, 2024, 08:39:19 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

What BJCP category does my beer belong in? THE OFFICIAL THREAD

Started by Hop Bomb, December 16, 2013, 01:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Bubbles

Hard to say without knowing what the "specialty" flavour is.  :)

irish_goat

Ah sorry, it's coffee.

5% American hopped pale ale. It's not quite in IPA territory so just checking if category 35A includes APA really.

Bubbles

Hmm.. I'd say definitely not the Specialty IPA category.. if the new/draft guidelines are anything to go buy, it seems to be quite limited in the styles of IPA it describes: amber, brown, white, black, belgian etc.

That and the fact that your beer isn't of IPA level alcohol strength would make me think 23A would be more appropriate.

However, you might be better off entering it in "Spice/Herb/Vegetable"?  :-\ ???

"This category may also be used for chile pepper, coffee-, chocolate-, or nut-based beers"

http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style21.php

irish_goat

21A sounds about right actually.

Also just to confirm, it's 3 entries per sub category yeah? Not including the specialities etc.

Bubbles

Quote from: irish_goat on February 03, 2015, 02:05:43 PM
Also just to confirm, it's 3 entries per sub category yeah? Not including the specialities etc.

I don't get you..?

I thought there was a limit of 1 entry per sub-category..??

irish_goat

Quote from: Bubbles on February 03, 2015, 02:15:37 PM

I don't get you..?

I thought there was a limit of 1 entry per sub-category..??

I did too but then I read this post from Rossa. http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,7928.msg104798.html#msg104798

Bubbles

Oh, fair enough! I must have missed that post. That's good news for some people, I'm sure.

Rossa

21A sounds about right actually.

Yep. It's funny. The outcry at 1 was big enough but we are at around 320 entries with 5 days to go so no fear of anyone missing out

ferg

Can I enter a Belgian dubbel 18b with a beer that was around 40% Munich malt?

Bubbles

If you think it tastes like a good Belgian dubbel and it seems to match the style descriptors, then yes. It doesn't matter what grains went into it, only what it tastes like. The judges are not going to have a copy of your recipe when they're tasting it.

St. Fursey

What's the recommendation for a hibiscus saison? I'm leaning towards 16C but the beer is pinkish red in colour and flavours are more floral than citrus

Bubbles

St. Fursey

Quote from: Bubbles on February 06, 2015, 03:55:57 PM
Belgian Specialty? Or Spice/Herb/Vegetable?
Flower beer is a strange one I suppose. Spice/Herb/Vegetable might work 

tpc2001

Quote from: Hop Bomb on January 06, 2014, 01:42:34 PM
10A it is then! Cheers for the clarification guys.

If it's darker than SRM -12 or 14, it probably better classified as a 10B. But if it's hop forward, 10 A. If it has more of a grainy/hoppy finish than a sweet finish, it may be an American Brown. If you can taste Mossaic hops, it's not going to make it as a Dubbel or an English Brown. Frequently judges will wink at Cat 10A beers with higher IBUs than the standard, as there are relatively few categories where New World hops can compete.