• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 02:01:47 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

December 8th - Ironing out the details

Started by Shanna, November 27, 2012, 09:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Hi Irish Goat,

If you mean do we need bottles as in bottles for bottling beer then I would say definitely yes. I know I got bottles from you before from the Bull & Castle and they were much appreciated. If you have any others available they would come in real handy.

If you mean do we need bottles as in bottles of beer to drink on the day then I will leave others answer that. I will be driving too and from the event so no booze for me ;-(

Declan
QuoteI'm a "maybe"...

What's the craic with buying ingredients etc? And do we need bottles?  ;)
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

irish_goat

November 28, 2012, 01:36:45 AM #1 Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 01:37:47 AM by irishgoat
QuoteHi Irish Goat,

If you mean do we need bottles as in bottles for bottling beer then I would say definitely yes. I know I got bottles from you before from the Bull & Castle and they were much appreciated. If you have any others available they would come in real handy.

If you mean do we need bottles as in bottles of beer to drink on the day then I will leave others answer that. I will be driving too and from the event so no booze for me ;-(

Declan
QuoteI'm a "maybe"...

What's the craic with buying ingredients etc? And do we need bottles?  ;)

Ha,      I wasn't planning on buying you all booze for the day I meant empties. Is it gonna be three 20lt brews? I.e 120 bottles worth. I could sort that out and have them ready for collection.since it's only a few kind walk I'd say I'd need only 2 or 3 people to help carry them.

Shanna

Hi Irish Goat,

Thanks for the confirmation about the bottles, empties that is ;-) One of the brews will be a kit with 23ltrs. I only asked as you had left it hanging when you said bottles. Given that its a brewing demonstration I was half wondering whether you were referring to bottles of home brew and not empties. At least one other person had floated the idea of bringing in some samples ;-)

On the day I will try and drive in to Dublin and park in my companies car park on Pearse Street so I intend to come in early. Rather than killing yourself hauling bottles from the b & c to Tog I can park and drive the bottles down to Tog for you. We will need to either do this before everything kicks off or towards the end of proceedings so that I can have enough time to get back from Pearse Street.

On a personal note if you have any additional bottles that I can take for myself I would appreciate it.

Declan
Ha,      I wasn't planning on buying you all booze for the day I meant empties. Is it gonna be three 20lt brews? I.e 120 bottles worth. I could sort that out and have them ready for collection.since it's only a few kind walk I'd say I'd need only 2 or 3 people to help carry them.
Hops Group buy packer

Will_D

I thought the idea was to do 3 brews. Starting from ingredients and ending up with chilled wort in a fermenter.

A few empty bottles could be needed to talk about the bottling process or is someone going to bring finished beer?

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Padraic

I think bottles wont be needed on the day, whether we ferment on site or not. Can we take up your kind offer the following week irish_goat?

The alternative is kegging most of the beer and just bottling a few litres from each batch, I have the spare kegs and it would be good for people to see both processes!

Padraic

QuoteI think bottles wont be needed on the day, whether we ferment on site or not. Can we take up your kind offer the following week irish_goat?
If he's coming down to TOG anyway on the 8th, it'd be a good idea to bring bottles then in case he's not coming the following week?

I'm just thinking of the storage space, I don't want to be too much of a burden the first time we brew there!

Shanna

Hi there

Consensus seems to be to ferment on site so no hassle.  Hope the fg works out as expected. Irish goat if ur reading this offer to take bottles on the day is still good. Tube would u mind bringing a fermenter so I don't have to be collecting a few weeks l8tr?

Declan
Hops Group buy packer

Padraic

I think I'll bring the three fermenters as I'm just across the river and its handy for me to collect! I best check to ensure I have spare fermenters now :)

Padraic

[movedhere] Capital Brewers [move by] Padraic.

irish_goat

I'll get a few boxes filled with empties anyway sure, it's only a few minutes walk so should be no hassle transporting them.they'll probably be mainly non-flip tops so we'll need a capper and caps too.

Shanna

Hi there,

I posted details of the forthcoming brewday in Tog on my Facebook page and surprise the alcoholics among my friends were all interested in attending with the expectation of getting some free home brew ;-)

Got me thinking should we bring something for any guests that might appear on the day? Will be driving myself so won't be drinking.

Declan
Hops Group buy packer

Padraic

Re: drinking on the day

I hadn't discussed drinking with tog on the day so, as their guests I think it would be best for us not to be drinking. Also the plan for the day was to get brewing and for us to do a tasting night in January, this may or may not be at tog I hope to discuss this with them next Saturday and hopefully make it a regular thing for us.

I agree it would be nice for people to be able to sample the results but I think an important part of homebrewing is the patience between when you brew and when you can drink that brew.

Spud395

QuoteI think an important part of homebrewing is the patience between when you brew and when you can drink that brew.
:o :o
Non modo......sed etiam

irish_goat

How many bottles will we need then? We're starting to have an awful lot of flip tops amounting up in the B&C but I'll fill a few boxes of 500ml ones as well. I'm not familiar with capping bottles, other than Wychwood are there any that don't cap well?

Padraic

The Witchwood ones are fine if you have a bench top capper, mine seems to work on all bottles.

I reckon we'll need around 140 500ml bottles or we could just keg it up! (Which has the added benefit of forcing me to get my keg system set up!) As my idea is to be able to drink the beers together socially as a club, kegging would work.

What do we all think? bottles or kegs? We'll need a few bottles anyway for the surplus above 19 litres that will fit into a keg!

Cheers Irish_Goat I have some bottles for you but I'm still waiting on them to carb (It appears it's too cold for them to carb in a reasonable amount of time!)