• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 17, 2024, 04:05:35 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Homebrew Shop] HomeBrewWest

Started by HomeBrewWest, April 08, 2015, 05:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qs

One thing thats a little annoying and an easy fix is that if you open the site and then move to a menu it pops off when the main image loads (banner.jpg). That image is very large in file size and could be optimised so it loads much quicker. That would prevent that little issue.

HomeBrewWest

Bulldog Brewer
I've just been told that we can't get any more until the end of September or early October. We are down to our last two units. Just a heads up.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: Qs on August 15, 2017, 05:03:39 PM
One thing thats a little annoying and an easy fix is that if you open the site and then move to a menu it pops off when the main image loads (banner.jpg). That image is very large in file size and could be optimised so it loads much quicker. That would prevent that little issue.
OK, banner is now a quarter of the original file size. Search fixed too. Looking a menus, but unsure how to simplify them. Thanks guys.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on August 17, 2017, 01:21:07 PM
Bulldog Brewer
I've just been told that we can't get any more until the end of September or early October. We are down to our last two units. Just a heads up.
Update . .  . just one left now.

Flanagan

Quick suggestion: The Best Special X malt (350-450EBC) should probably be in the crystal malts section (?)

It's the equivalent of Caraaroma, basically a well toasted crystal malt, the best thing to use for red ales for me. I only just noticed it in the Specialty section with all the acidulated, smoky etc stuff.

Flanagan

HBW Straw Poll: Do people prefer Best or Viking malts?

I've had good results with the Viking and tended to stick with it but my quality control isn't near enough to make a reliable judgement between the 2.

HomeBrewWest

August 22, 2017, 11:49:55 AM #711 Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:36:10 PM by HomeBrewWest
Large Brouwland Order Going In
Lots of amazing new products there, take a look if you haven't been on their site in a while: Brouwland.

We are placing a large order with Brouwland this week for a variety of new homebrew goods and can offer you some good deals if you pre-book some new products with us. No need to pay or buy, all you need to do is PM me a request for a product and we will do our very best to get it in for you. The idea is that we will get in new products for you that we might not otherwise have ordered.

As always we need you guys to help us offer the best product range possible. Thanks in advance.

HomeBrewWest

New Corny Kegs Reduced to €109.95, €30 OFF
These are the original AEB kegs with ball lock connectors. We only have 11 left.

HomeBrewWest

Speidel Microbrewery Course On Saturday 26th August 2017
Just a reminder that this course is running in Galway tomorrow. Book here:
setting up a small brewery course in Galway

cruiscinlan

Hi there do you have more spare cogs for the bulldog mill? The replacement ones have worn out on me.

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: cruiscinlan on August 26, 2017, 10:35:59 PM
Hi there do you have more spare cogs for the bulldog mill? The replacement ones have worn out on me.
Hi cruiscinlan, with hundreds of mills sold we've only ever had 2 wear out the cogs so this is a total mystery (we've milled many tons of grain ourselves without issues using one of them). If you're not using it commercially we need to look at what you are doing with it. Perhaps the gap is too fine or there are stones in the grain, or maybe its as simple as a missing spacer. Bring the mill with you and call in for a chat to help us figure it out.

We did ask suppliers for spare cogs, but we need to follow it up.

In the meantime, we've put this up on the site: Bulldog Malt Mill Spare Cog Set but they are out of stock. I'll check tomorrow if we have a mill we can scavenge the cogs from, and put it them in stock if we have.

cruiscinlan

August 27, 2017, 09:52:20 PM #716 Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 10:40:29 PM by cruiscinlan
Quote from: HomeBrewWest on August 27, 2017, 08:55:57 PM
Hi cruiscinlan, with hundreds of mills sold we've only ever had 2 wear out the cogs so this is a total mystery (we've milled many tons of grain ourselves without issues using one of them). If you're not using it commercially we need to look at what you are doing with it. Perhaps the gap is too fine or there are stones in the grain, or maybe its as simple as a missing spacer. Bring the mill with you and call in for a chat to help us figure it out.

We did ask suppliers for spare cogs, but we need to follow it up.

I average about 6kg per 23L batch so not commercial quantities.  Just to give an idea from my log, in about 2.5 years its milled 210kg of grain or so. 

I won't be able call out as I'm in Dublin but I'll ask my father to call out with it during the week.

molc

August 28, 2017, 09:55:14 AM #717 Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:37:56 PM by molc
Possibly bring the drill your using as well. It might just be too powerful and putting a lot of strain on the cogs
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

HomeBrewWest

Quote from: molc on August 28, 2017, 09:55:14 AM
Possibly bring the drill your using as well. It might just be too powerful and putting a loy of strain on the cogs
Good point molc, could well be that the drill is too powerful. Also the crush could be so fine that the rollers are jamming. Where do you get your malt? We have heard of small stones present in some malts causing problems with mills, although we've never experienced it at HBW. I'd imagine you'd probably notice this though.

Anyway, I've asked the lads to break up a mill for spares if we can't locate any spare cogs. So we should be able to sort you out.

cruiscinlan

August 28, 2017, 09:15:25 PM #719 Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 05:24:29 PM by cruiscinlan
Quote from: HomeBrewWest on August 28, 2017, 04:31:25 PM
Good point molc, could well be that the drill is too powerful. Also the crush could be so fine that the rollers are jamming. Where do you get your malt? We have heard of small stones present in some malts causing problems with mills, although we've never experienced it at HBW. I'd imagine you'd probably notice this though.

Anyway, I've asked the lads to break up a mill for spares if we can't locate any spare cogs. So we should be able to sort you out.

Can't say fairer than that. Just maybe mention it to the manufacturers for feedback. Even wider teeth on the cogs themselves may make a difference in future.

On the not side, a variety, Viking and Best malt from yourselves, MCI, Crisp and Minton's malt from other suppliers. I've hit a stone once or twice and the drill kicks and I stop milling.

Btw whats the difference between this http://www.homebrewwest.ie/best-vienna-malt-8-to-10-ebc-25-kg-special-5598-p.asp and http://www.homebrewwest.ie/best-vienna-malt-8-to-10-ebc-25-kg-6861-p.asp?