• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 06:16:16 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Workshops you'd like to see us do.

Started by Padraic, January 27, 2013, 09:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padraic

Just looking for suggestions on workshops that you would like to see us do over the coming months, I'll let this thread run for a week or so and then I'll open up a poll so ye can vote for which workshop we do first!

Building Kettles (covering plastic & stainless steel options)
Yeast (Starters, slants, stirplates, etc.)
Mashtuns (cooler boxes/etc.)
Tubinator (Fermentation controllers)
Hop growing (probably wouldn't hurt do do this one soon)

Please put down more suggestions and please describe what you mean! And better still if you have the skills to teach others how to do things! I'm thinking weekdays from 18:00 for 2-3 hours, once a month or so.

Things like equipment building might be done on an ad hoc basis during brewdays if requested and someone with the relevant skillset is available to help out.

JimmyM

January 28, 2013, 07:00:06 PM #1 Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:00:56 PM by JamesM
Wort Coolers.
Cheap Counter pressure bottle fillers.

There's not too much to some of the things so could demo a couple of them in the same night.
Formerly JamesM.

Dr Jacoby

How to put together a brewing recipe? Might be useful for newbies and give experienced brewers an idea how everybody else does it.
Every little helps

Shanna

Hi Padraic.

I was thinking that it would be cool to demonstrate a working kegging system from a cornie, gas cylinder, beer lines and taps. Include a talk on how to pressurise the beer. It might be something that could be dovetailed with a freshly batch of brewed beer.

Declan
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Padraic

Great ideas guys!

Counter pressure bottle fillers could be a good one with willd and dempseys designs battling it out!!

Recipe formulation would be a good one, my system is generally a bit random so it would be good to hear how others go through the process!

Cornys - I don't know how I left them off my list as they are high up my to do list!! I think a packaging night might be good to flesh this one out! Show some of the other options, from bottling to mini kegs, king kegs or whatever else you all use! But mainly focusing on Cornys!!

irish_goat

Recipe formulation would be a good one, my system is generally a bit random so it would be good to hear how others go through the process!

I'd like this too. My formula is usually copy a recipe I see online + use whatever ingredients I have + a bit of randomness.

Shanna

February 03, 2013, 02:38:47 PM #6 Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 02:40:56 PM by doshanahan
Hi Padraic et al,

Just got my hands on another metal container that I am hoping to turn into a 2nd brewing kettle. The idea is to use this kettle for boiling the wort and use the existing kettle that I have with the uber large (5.5kw) heating element purely to heat water.Was thinking of adding two independently wired 2kw heating elements to the brew kettle along with a stainless steel ball valve. I have a large step bit, drill and ball valve with Orings and will shortly source two elements. I am offering to use this as a demonstration in tog of what is involved in putting a brewing kettle together. I was hoping somebody else who has done a similar thing in the past would volunteer to help me put in in the elements. I would feel comfortable enough doing the ball valve myself, we could make it a joint project.

Was also thinking if somebody has a camcorder or phone with large storage space we could record it.

Declan
Hops Group buy packer

Padraic

That sounds great Declan, we could also do a plastic bucket version to show them side by side!

I'd say we can get a video camera involved on the day to get some good footage of the process!

Shanna

March 16, 2013, 09:33:30 AM #8 Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 09:35:25 AM by doshanahan
Hi Padraic

Was wondering if we are going to progress with this? I am working on getting my mash tun done and when that is finished I want to move on to getting my second boiler sorted out.  If we can't get this done in thing within the next month or so I might just try and organise a local workshop in my shed.  This is not to apply pressiure on you just a note that I want to get my all grain setup up and going sooner rather than later.  I would love to do it with an audience as it would be great to teach others how to do it and also learn from others. Hope fully you can get something sorted with tog shower rather than later.

Shanna

Ps: Are we going to do a tastng session of three tog brews?
Hops Group buy packer