• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 08:24:29 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Recipe for the Barrel Aged Stout

Started by irish_goat, April 15, 2013, 09:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Since everyone else is starting their recipe threads we might as well too, especially since we've not got too long before the cask arrives..

Personally I'm not particularly fussed with what we go for. I enjoy Leann Follain whiskey aged (6.8%) but also like Porterhouse Celebration (11%) and Eight Degrees chocolate stout (7%) was very tasty too.

Do we know what kind of cask we are getting? I'm assuming it will be whiskey that went into a blend but knowing whether it was previously a sherry or bourbon cask might give us an idea of what flavours to expect.

I've no experience really with recipe formation but I'd probably prefer one that goes into the barrel no more than 8 or 9%. And one that comes out with more vanilla, chocolaty flavours than any malty nuttiness which I've found a few stronger stouts can have.

Shane Phelan

I really enjoyed the Eight Degrees chocolate stout. I liked how the flavour wasn't too overpowering.
Brew Log

Will_D

Do we know what kind of cask we are getting? I'm assuming it will be whiskey that went into a blend but knowing whether it was previously a sherry or bourbon cask might give us an idea of what flavours to expect.
AFAIK: The barrels start life as either new, or a 1 batch old Jack Daniels cask. They are filled with raw spirit from the still and left for about 6 years. They are reused as above another 4 or 5 times and so may be between 24 and 30 years old. They have to the best of my knowledge only ever stored cask strength whiskey!!

As soon as I get ours I will check the alcohol content of the whiskey in the cask! (Scientifically - before you accuse me of drinking all the liquid!!)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Rossa

I did some research, as  I always like to do. I talked to award winning brewer RichieH, a veteran barreler, and I have come up with this. I based it a bit around what I have done in the past plus Stone's Imperial Stout (with the addition of choc malt). What do you think? We could push for 10% with an extra kilo of grain but you will need a mash tun of approx 36l for that grain bill with 2.5l/kg. We could leave out the crystal as it might not attenuate BUt the barrel should look after everything and mellow it out hugely. Note: 90 min boil (minimum I would say to concentrate the wort)

[size=14]Capital  Barrel Imperial Stout[/size]
[size=12]13-F Russian Imperial Stout[/size]
[size=10]Author: rossa[/size]

[size=10]Size: 20 L @ 20 °C[/size]
[size=10]Efficiency: 60%[/size]
[size=10]Attenuation: 75.0%[/size]
[size=10]Calories: 315.95 kcal per 12.0 fl oz[/size]

[size=10]Original Gravity: 1.094 (1.075 - 1.115)[/size]
[size=10]|===============#================|[/size]
[size=10]Terminal Gravity: 1.023 (1.018 - 1.030)[/size]
[size=10]|===============#================|[/size]
[size=10]Color: 87.77 (59.1 - 78.8)[/size]
[size=10]|===============================#|[/size]
[size=10]Alcohol: 9.35% (8.0% - 12.0%)[/size]
[size=10]|=============#==================|[/size]
[size=10]Bitterness: 155.5 (50.0 - 90.0)[/size]
[size=10]|================================|[/size]

[size=12]Ingredients:[/size]
[size=10]8 kg (74.8%) Pale Ale Malt - added during mash[/size]
[size=10]1 kg (9.3%) Amber Malt - added during mash[/size]
[size=10].7 kg (6.5%) Roasted Barley - added during mash[/size]
[size=10].300 kg (2.8%) Black Malt - added during mash[/size]
[size=10].500 kg (4.7%) Chocolate Malt - added during mash[/size]
[size=10].200 kg (1.9%) Crystal 55 - added during mash[/size]
[size=10]30 g (9.1%) Magnum (14.1%) - added during boil, boiled 90 m[/size]
[size=10]150 g (45.5%) East Kent Goldings (7.2%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m[/size]
[size=10]150 g (45.5%) East Kent Goldings (7.2%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m[/size]
[size=10]3.0 ea WYeast 1084 Irish Ale[/size]

[size=12]Schedule:[/size]
[size=10]Ambient Air: 21.11 °C[/size]
[size=10]Source Water: 15.56 °C[/size]
[size=10]Elevation: 0.0 m[/size]

[size=9]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.24[/size]

Shane Phelan

April 16, 2013, 03:58:07 PM #4 Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 04:30:01 PM by shiny
Thanks for the recipe Rossa, it looks great! It pretty much is at the limit of what I can achieve with my mashtun and I always base my numbers on a 60% efficiency. I didn't know other people were getting as low as I was but perhaps you are being cautious with the numbers for that reason.

If I can get a sample of the yeast from someone I could do up a slant of it for everyone.
Brew Log

Shanna

April 16, 2013, 09:00:45 PM #5 Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 10:24:02 PM by doshanahan
Hi Rossa

Got my mash tun manifold finished last night. So hoping to get the insulation on this weekend.  Any chance you would export this recipe from beer tools and attach the exported file to the thread? Are there any special instructions required with respect to sparging or recirculating the wort from the mash tun?

What should the strike temp of the mash water be and how long should one mash for? By the way I have a huge amount of unmalted Barley that I can give people to roast at home them selves.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Dr Jacoby

QuoteIf I can get a sample of the yeast from someone I could do up a slant of it for everyone.

I was chatting to Rossa about this. I have some Irish Ale slants that I could give you. Are you around DCU this week? I could bring one or two in tomorrow.
Every little helps

Dr Jacoby

Nice recipe Rossa. That'll definitely get you in the ball park. A few words of advice based on the RIS myself, Richie and Kev did a few years back.

- your kettle elements will take a real beating on this brew, especially if you're going to use a 90 minute boil. Mine cut out on the first batch; I was using two 2.4kW elements, so I had to switch boilers. I ended up using my trusty 3kW element boiler instead.
- on a beer this size, and given the fact that it will be aged for quite a while, you could save yourselves some money by add more bittering hops at the start and using less EKG at the end. We found that getting the right level of bitterness was more important than trying to get a strong hop flavour, which is difficult in such a malty whiskey/vanilla flavoured beer.
- our blended batches dropped a bit in the barrel, so expect a higher ABV post barrel-aging
- and there's all the obvious stuff: use massive starters, aerate very well, have a blow off tube at the ready!

Good luck lads!   
Every little helps

Shane Phelan

QuoteIf I can get a sample of the yeast from someone I could do up a slant of it for everyone.

I was chatting to Rossa about this. I have some Irish Ale slants that I could give you. Are you around DCU this week? I could bring one or two in tomorrow.

Thanks for the tips, we will need all the help we can get! :)

I'm in DCU all week.
Brew Log

Shane Phelan

Either way we need to agree on this sooner rather than later.

The yeast will take time to slant and for people to grow starters from those slants. That process, even if I had the yeast today, is going to take 10 days...

East kent goldings have now gone out of stock on both the HBC and HBW, they were in stock last night...

The same is going to start happening to the speciality malts pretty soon as other clubs agree on their recipes.
Brew Log

Rossa

True. Maybe we can buy 5kg from simply hops, maybe SD will come on board there too.

Shane Phelan

Yeah it would make sense to pair up and get a bale if the stock situation doesn't change.

I'm meeting with Dr. Jacoby and Joey today to sort out the yeast.
Brew Log

Rossa

Give me a shout if Peter gives you the spare vial and I can pop by tonight if you are home.

Quote from: shiny on April 18, 2013, 11:14:51 AM
Yeah it would make sense to pair up and get a bale if the stock situation doesn't change.

I'm meeting with Dr. Jacoby and Joey today to sort out the yeast.

Shane Phelan

I have a spare vial for you Rossa from Peter. I will bring it home with me tonight.

I will work with Joey to get another dozen or so slants done up from the other one here which can be distributed out to the rest of the lads to make up their own starters.

Info:
The yeast is WLP004, optimal for ESB's, porters, stouts and bitters.
Brew Log

Dr Jacoby

Quote from: Rossa on April 17, 2013, 06:59:27 PM
True. Maybe we can buy 5kg from simply hops, maybe SD will come on board there too.

I'd be up for going in on this if possible. I have plenty of American hops but I'm short on English and German. If anyone fancies getting some saaz we could add a pack of that too. 3x5Kg packs is the most efficient for postage but that might be overkill!
Every little helps