• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 11:55:27 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Recipe for the Barrel Aged Stout

Started by irish_goat, April 15, 2013, 09:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARA

I need to place a BIG order (3 barrels, plus normal brewing) so I could piggy back and bump it way up.
Upa Sesh

Rossa

Wicklow need grain too. Do that is them,capital and probably SD. Do we go Irish pale and order specials from hbc or go Bairds? Simply hops seems the best option for ekg. Peter, hop on board. This all needs to be done by midweek I'd say.

Cathal O D

When do you expect we should brew this? Im hoping to do a brew of my own soon but have only 1 fermentor so need to plan my dates.

Im also looking to get some more grain if there is a bulk buy happening. If we go irish malt we will need a mill/grinder which i dont have yet.

JoeyD

Alright lads,

Is this the main thread we are using to co-ordinate then?

Im in the same boat as Cathal and pinning down some dates would be handy as I don't have many free days after the bank holiday.  I need to order in stocks this week as well. 

Shane Phelan

I have all my stuff picked out on the brewing store. The only things holding me up at the moment are the grain and the hops. I have initiated attempts to sort out the hops and I can take delivery of those if needs be but I wouldn't have a hope of being able to sort out the grain.
Brew Log

Padraic

I wonder could we all haul in our gear to Tog for the brewday? It might be a nice day if we got to brew as a team!

Then we can all ferment at home?!?

We'd need a gas setup or two to make this happen I'd say as there wouldn't be enough electricity for all of us otherwise!

Shane Phelan

Quote from: Padraic on April 25, 2013, 01:32:53 PM
I wonder could we all haul in our gear to Tog for the brewday? It might be a nice day if we got to brew as a team!

Then we can all ferment at home?!?

We'd need a gas setup or two to make this happen I'd say as there wouldn't be enough electricity for all of us otherwise!

Were you proposing to do that on the 12th?
Brew Log

Shanna

How much grain do you need maybe I can help you out with some?

Shanna

Quote from: shiny on April 24, 2013, 12:12:53 PM
I have all my stuff picked out on the brewing store. The only things holding me up at the moment are the grain and the hops. I have initiated attempts to sort out the hops and I can take delivery of those if needs be but I wouldn't have a hope of being able to sort out the grain.
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Shane Phelan

I'm looking for 25kg minimum at this stage, I'm looking at a few different ways of getting it at the moment but if they don't work out I will just buy them from the usual place online.
Brew Log

Shanna

I have a spare 10 kg bag that I bought earlier I this year from the maltings in Cork that you can have. Don't want money for it. If you take it just try replace it if there is another group buy in the future.

Shanna

Quote from: shiny on April 25, 2013, 10:52:34 PM
I'm looking for 25kg minimum at this stage, I'm looking at a few different ways of getting it at the moment but if they don't work out I will just buy them from the usual place online.
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Rossa

Mr Malty reckons about 200ml of slurry, gathered on the day of pitching to the new beer, will be enough liquid yeast. I am doing a batch tomorrow to pitch into the two brews. If you haven't got the starter going you would need to do it very soon. At least a week in advance and build it to a min of 3l (using a stir plate, 7l when not shaking regularly)...according to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Shane Phelan

Does anyone need any WLP004 for this brew? I'm starting up from a slant tonight so I could do a parallel conical if people needed some. I can have it for the Capital brewers meet if they need it.
Brew Log

Rossa

I can also do another stater from what I have but if you were thinking of brewing next weekend it could be iffy unless you had a bag of dme to build it with up asap.

Shane Phelan

I made an all grain wort last night and there is 3L of that in the fridge to use as it gets stepped up. Anyone getting any slurry would it would probably be worth having your wort ready to pitch when you get it. I was hoping to have a concentration that could be pitched into a 2L starter by the capital brewers meet, I could be overly optimistic with that though. 
Brew Log

Shane Phelan

I put the recipe into beersmith yesterday and its only giving me 105 IBU's for my configuration. I wouldn't have minded if I was only a little bit out but that is over 30% off Rossa's numbers. If I up my magnum contribution to 50g from 30g that brings me up to 140IBU's. I just want to err on the side of caution as I think its better to be 'too bitter' than 'not bitter enough' with an imperial stout or else we will end up with something cloyingly sweet.

What do ye think?
Brew Log