• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 06:57:04 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

"Brewovision" Wednesday 12th 7pm Kavanaghs

Started by Shane Phelan, June 01, 2015, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

June 01, 2015, 11:03:39 AM Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 11:31:00 AM by shiny
Update

Capital Brewers are holding their club round for the summer session comp on Wednesday 12th at 7pm in  Kavanaghs.
Bring 4 bottles (2 for judging on the night, 2 will be left in Kavanagh's if you through to the next round)
We will be using the scoresheet (attached) so no BJCP experience is required to judge the beers on the night

Completely robbing Dave's post from last year, I've started this Thread for "Brewovision" - Capital Brewers Beer Contest to select brews for the Summer Session Beer Club Competition. Given the format of the contest, he thought Brewovision was a good name!

The beers will be decided by all at the July Club Meetup so plenty of time to get a good low ABV % brew ready. Keep about 4 bottles aside (2 for the local club meetup and 2 to represent the club! ;) )

I tweaked  the month but from the original thread:
Capital brewers are running the annual Summer Session beer competition again this year in Dublin. It is not a BJCP categorized competition so the tag line is 'Summer Session Beers of <4%'. The beer should reflect the following -  Summer in a glass. Light, refreshing, medium body, thirst quenching, balanced beer of low ABV (a lawnmower beer). Something to enjoy on those two days of summer we get every year.

-   The idea is to run it at club level at the local meet ups for members only.
-   Each member gets a vote as to the best beer on the night.
-   Entrants can bring brew sheets to show how their beer was made, very important if sub 3%ABV or funk involvement.
-   Two beers get selected at the meet up and will be sent through to a national final.

Prizes and entry fee (likely to be €5) are to be announced but it is time to get brewing.

Tips to brewing a low ABV beer -

- Be careful not to mash too low and end up with a very dry & light bodied beer.
   - Use different malts to build body
   - Be careful to balance hop bitterness with the lighter body.
   - Attenuation of a beer like this is key so choose your yeast carefully

More details to follow but the format is going to be very similar to previous years.  One difference is going to be the amount of information that the judges get about the beer. I'm hoping that they will be provided with ABV, style and yeast used to allow them to judge the beer more effectively. This is important for beers that might be sub 3% or beers with funky yeasts.

Brew Log

Will_D

So to be clear all the clubs that are entering must select their beers by the end of July?

When about will be the grand final?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Shane Phelan

June 03, 2015, 01:44:00 PM #2 Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 09:59:47 PM by shiny
This is the thread for the capital submission for the final. The main competition thread is here. In theory the clubs can select their beers as late as they want as long as they are in time for the final. This thread is for the capital brewers submission. Final will be held on August 15th.

Fixed above, loads of text was missing do to me making a balls of the url link.
Brew Log

Will_D

Quote from: shiny on June 03, 2015, 01:44:00 PM
This is the thread for the capital submission for the final. The main competition thread is here. Final will be held on August 15th.
Shane: Linky no worky!

Shane Phelan

Brew Log

Will_D

If you mean this: http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php/topic,9885.0.html then there is no mention of dates that I can see.

Sorry to be pedantic about this but NCBrewers are raring to get brewing for this but as we are NOTORIOUS for being late Enterers we do need to know the chronology!

So as long as we have judged in July ( ie 2nd of August  >:D) and we get the bottles somewhere somehow we are good to go!

Shane Phelan

Yeah we don't have all the details yet as I felt it was more important to actually announce it than have every detail sorted at the very start.

As it stands I already have August 15th in the title and based on previous years I figured clubs would know what it took to get the beers to us before that. Clubs close to Dublin wont have any problems here, its the likes of cork, galway and belfast might have to do some more planning.
Brew Log

SlugTrap

Any concerns/allowances for light, aroma-forward APAs losing hop freshness by the time they get to the Finals?

Shane Phelan

Its always a concern to be honest. Its made even more difficult by the fact that you are trying to get though your club round first so you don't want a green beer there either. Everyone is in the same boat pretty much.
Brew Log

Shane Phelan

Can everyone bring 4 bottles to this? We can leave the winners beers in Kavanaghs after the club comp.
Brew Log

Dunkel

Shane Phelan

Modified to give the correct date!

Next Wednesday (12th August) in Kavanaghs, at 7.
Brew Log

Jonnycheech

I'd like to attend this and enter but I am working unfortunately. Will it be possible to drop off an entry on Wed afternoon in Kavanagh's?
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Shane Phelan

We haven't told them to expect dropoffs for Wednesday but they have taken them before for other comps. Given that we will be in later to judge them it should be fine to drop them in. Just label them clearly.
Brew Log

Jonnycheech

Cool. Will hopefully get bottling tomorrow after work so.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled: