• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 19, 2024, 02:18:13 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

CO2 from AJ Edge, Bray, and the NHC

Started by JimmyM, March 15, 2013, 03:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FW

Do they also stock regulators?

I have one that works with sodastream cylinders, but I assuming a real cylinder will need a different regulator?

CWalsh

Not sure if they stock regulators but here is one I ordered recently and I use it with a cylinder I got from AJ edge https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B083199459?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_image

Soursean

Quote from: patk46 on April 29, 2021, 10:05:29 PMI've everything ready now to keg except gas and had a few queries about getting some.

- are they allowed sell the extinguishers for beer use? Like can you walk in and ask for it for that reason or do you need to pretend it's for something else?

- if the above is ok, do you need to bring a regulator or is it something that can be fitted yourself after once you see what size the fitting is? I have a regulator but I've no idea if it will fit a fire extinguisher.

- what's the biggest one that can be got? So as not to have to keep making trips back to them.

Thanks.

Hey,

Yeah it's fine. AJ sells canisters and refills just say you need gas.
No need to bring your regulator as its a standard size fitting.
I am not sure about sizes, I think it might be 2.5kg or 5kg

TheSumOfAllBeers

if you are concerned about repeat trips, seriously think about getting a second cylinder. If you drain your tank with an overnight leak, at least you have a backup, and are only out the price of a refill.

It is also very practical to have a second cylinder, so that you dont have to pull apart your kegerator in order to do brewery tasks like purge kegs, transfers etc.

Pheeel

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on April 30, 2021, 08:30:43 AMif you are concerned about repeat trips, seriously think about getting a second cylinder. If you drain your tank with an overnight leak, at least you have a backup, and are only out the price of a refill.

It is also very practical to have a second cylinder, so that you dont have to pull apart your kegerator in order to do brewery tasks like purge kegs, transfers etc.

This is great advise. Nothing worse than losing a tank overnight 😭
Issues with your membership? PM me!

nigel_c

Quote from: Pheeel on May 05, 2021, 09:52:24 PM
Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on April 30, 2021, 08:30:43 AMif you are concerned about repeat trips, seriously think about getting a second cylinder. If you drain your tank with an overnight leak, at least you have a backup, and are only out the price of a refill.

This is great advise. Nothing worse than losing a tank overnight 😭
;D

TheSumOfAllBeers

Kinda wishing I am following my advice right now ... CO2 bottle just kicked. Now on sodastream life support (but at least the brown ale is tasting good).

Need to do closed transfers from FV. I guess I am going to have to use a (just kicked) keg as a CO2 source.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Fishing the big cylinder out of the keezer and taking it apart from the gas distribution is a faff. It's doable, and not too hard to shift around when it's free. It's a lot lighter than a full 19L corny keg for instance. And way lighter than a pub gas bottle.

But if you want to use your second keg for more portable procedures like you say, bringing it into the kitchen to purge kegs, or out to the garden for the BBQ, or any number of other brewhouse (as opposed to dispense) tasks, the smaller size might be a benefit.

Nanuk

Hi...
Where can I get refill Co2 Cylinder around Mallow or Cork area?
Where are you refilling yours these days?

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: Nanuk on September 17, 2021, 01:54:03 PMHi...
Where can I get refill Co2 Cylinder around Mallow or Cork area?
Where are you refilling yours these days?

Munster CO2: https://www.goldenpages.ie/munster-c02-ltd-cork/ (Lotabeg/mayfield)
Old thread : https://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/forum/index.php?topic=16621.15

€30 for a 6Kg fill.

Sign up with the Rebel Brewers too - very active at the minute, especially with group buys, Cork area express etc.

Seaneh

Anyone know of anywhere in the midlands to get a refill?
I know AJ in bray is the cheapest but it's a bit of a treck for me this week.

nigel_c