• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
June 02, 2024, 02:12:41 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewing demo

Started by Donny, June 19, 2016, 08:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donny

Hey guys,

I was asked by a friend of mine to do a brew day at a farmer's market at the end of next month. Just to show people the process and how easy it can be when you know how. I was thinking of putting some small bowls out with some hops in one and crushed grains in the other to show people what they are like and to make it look a bit more pro.

My main question is it legal to have beer samples available for people to try?

Leann ull

Officially no but if you take no money and ply issue small sample s, no more that a 1/3 of a pint revenue will turn a blind eye

Donny

I was thinking of something very small for a sample.

johnrm

LordEoin and I ran the demos at Killarney Beer festival.
This was a bit different from a farmers market as it was beer centric and on private and licenced property.
We used disposable clear cups and gave out roughly 100ml samples.

I am considering something similar to what you are doing for the Midleton Food and drink Festival.
Small samples, take no money, ask for ID if punter looks underage.

I'm not sure how Gardai would respond, publicans may get uppity too.

Leann ull

If you have fellas chugging pints and it was a regular thing or there was cash changing hands I'd be worried, a drive by without samples being advertised, you should be fine and folks not filling up and you will be fine, we have done a few at expos over the years and no problems.

Donny

Cheers lads, defo wasnt going to ask for money. Its more of a "look what you can do from the comfort of your own home" thing. Il be showing a 1 gal batch of mead a day or so into fermentation. It will be made using local honey to make keep it country  ;) If i dont have time i might do a partial extract on the day but I have to wait and see. I have a peco boiler so it may be more difficult than i hope

Leann ull

Just no boiling liquids or gas burners near crowds or accessible by small fingers for obvious reasons, in short use common sense