• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:24:24 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Beer Run.

Started by Greg2013, March 07, 2013, 06:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Made an aldi run today for stuff and decided to get these while i was there. Looks like i am finally going to pop my IPA cherry :o
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

rukkus

I would sooner pop it with something like http://www.brewdog.com/product/hardcore-ipa mmmmmmmm

Garry

Aldi's O'Shea's Irish Pale Ale is very nice too. Much cheaper than O'Hara's and it's made by the same crowd.

Greg2013

March 07, 2013, 08:11:41 PM #3 Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 08:13:00 PM by deadman1972
Maybe so Rukkus but have you seen the postage on that? :o

Ya Garry they had some of o shea's there but it was only the porter and i am swimming in stout here at the moment so i left it ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

rukkus

You can pick them up in some offlicenses if you shop around ;)

Greg2013

Not around here Rukkus m8. Trust me i have looked. Can't get IPA around Dungarvan. These are the first IPA i have seen in the flesh so to speak :'(

Greg2013

I mean dammit i want Banana beer, coconut beer etc etc but nothing like that around here >:(

newToBrew

March 08, 2013, 10:08:03 AM #7 Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:12:08 AM by newToBrew
hey Deadman - next time your in around town - try and get out to world wide wines out near Ardkeen hospital

they do a good range of different beers - bit pricey maybe - i think theres a shelf of crafts for 11 quid for 4
they also have all the brewdogs out there and a variety of other beers too - I sometimes nip out there for a "special " treat - the owner seems to know his stuff too
also Superquinn do a "world beers " thing - 6 for the price of 5 a lot of teh english crafts - brewdog punk ipa and 5 am saint and sierra nevada is in that too   

- have you tried teh greene king yet ? - never had that
coz theres always something new to do

Greg2013

Ya tried the ipa last night and it was massive. Real toffee nose and flavour. Not very hoppy i thought. Must try to get o sheas ipa next time i am near an aldi thanks tube.

newToBrew

QuoteYa tried the ipa last night and it was massive. Real toffee nose and flavour. Not very hoppy i thought. Must try to get o sheas ipa next time i am near an aldi thanks tube.

yeah - like tube said... english hops - afaik tend to be slightly more subtle (?) than the yankies

newToBrew

got that greene IPS in ALdi today - not nad about it - o'sheas is better imho

Greg2013

Good to know. That was my very first IPA so i have nothing to compare it to at the moment. I can't believe beers like this are so hard to get around here :'(

Col

Tesco in Carlow are doing a few IPAs, pale ales and bitters now. I asked them would they be interested in stocking some homebrew, so the next time I went in they had Geordie's Yorkshire Bitter, stuck in a corner where Sherlock Holmes couldn't find it. I checked some reviews online, and nearly all of them condemned it as awful muck.
So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar,
Where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws,
And nursing our scars.

Greg2013

Col i don't think its legal to sell homebrew? If you did get a licence and proper setup then it would go from being home brew to craft beer. I may get down to Waterford tomorrow depending on a lift and if i do i will try to get to Superquinn and if not at least back to Aldi ;) ;D

Col

No, I meant Tescos selling kits and stuff for making homebrew. Some of their other branches are doing it as well.
So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar,
Where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws,
And nursing our scars.