• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 01:46:55 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Beer Run.

Started by Greg2013, March 07, 2013, 06:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newToBrew

yeah waterford tescos don't though - i've been askng from time to time in tesco extra on dunmore road - they keep looking at me like i've asked them for their first born in a terriyakkii marinade
coz theres always something new to do

Greg2013

Yep there is piss all on the hime brew supply front in Waterford, so stock up because you will be waiting 3 days avergae for your order to arrive,would not want to be under pressure like ;)
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Col

Does your man not operate from his house in Waterford City any more?
So if you want my address it's number one at the end of the bar,
Where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws,
And nursing our scars.

Greg2013

Heard of him Col but don't know if he is even still alive or where he is? TBH i don't think he had much anyway from what others have told me? Its a pity because hopping(no pun) on the bus down to Waterford and pick up and back again you would be done in half a day, damn handy :'(
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Col

I think he's still on the go. He's Favourite Homebrew, and his number is (was?) 051872218. I always found him all right, over the years. If I rang him for something, he usually did his best to get it for me.
And nursing our scars.

newToBrew

QuoteDoes your man not operate from his house in Waterford City any more?

yeah - he does David is his name & thats his number in the previous post

deadman - if you are looking for equipment - need to pick it up on one for your beer runs - ring this dude  the day before or something -  as Col says - he will do what he can for you - He does mostly kits - when I approached him a year or two ago - I was starting on my All Grain equipment - he didn't cater for that really - I think most of his customers are kit brewers - I know of one or two wine Kit Brewers who have been using him for years  - he really is a nice guy - years ago when he had the shop on the quay - we used to drop in just for the laugh -  mate of mine used to call him buzz head - as he got "some buzz " from chatting to him

Greg2013

I was not knocking him at all, i just heard that he was gone away from that completely is all. Does he stock stuff like yeasts and additives or is it just the bare cans of extract, does he do demijohns and stuff?

newToBrew

not too sure tbh - I did try him for yeast in the past - was looking for a notty or safale strain and I think he just had some generic brand

As far as ingredients go - prob not a lot - mainly kits - but worth ringing and asking him if your stuck and in around this way anyway  - I've picked up stuff from him in a pinch like sanitizer - campden powder - small stuff that doesn't merit delivery costs

as for equipment - yeah - he would have pretty much a fair bit of what you would need from a fermenting perspective - I might actually be ringing him myself about demi johns soon - think I could do with  one for yeast washing - If I do I'll let you know

Ah - I know your not knockin him - in fact i think it was me who said he doesn't have loads   !!!!

newToBrew

so.. I dropped into the dude and picked up a plastic demi john  - with an airlock for a fiver
I was of the impression that he was semi retired - but I had a quick chat with him and he seems to be full on into it ..

like I said - its mostly kit based from what I can see - but I guess the fermentation equipment is fairly generic anyway

said he could get whatever you wanted - but I guess thats probably no different to ordering it online yourself -
anyway he's there - has stuff - worth considering when buying stuff - shop local and all that !!!

Greg2013

Newtobrew before I go ringing him where in city is he located exactly? Dies he do wine kits? Sorry but I hate using phone.

Col

March 16, 2013, 08:47:01 AM #25 Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 08:47:27 AM by Col
Yes, he does wine kits and all the basics, and he is sound. As regards finding him, I can't really help you with that - every time I try to find him, I get lost, and end up ringing him! John's Hill seems to ring a bell? But then, I keep forgetting I have Alzheimer's...
And nursing our scars.

newToBrew

Yeah johns hill - find the mansion house pub that's at the start ofthehil head up hes in o.w of the 3 story terrace houses on the left - would ring first as he's not always there and might not have what u need