• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:40:07 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

brewday kildare sunday parti gyle brew report

Started by brenmurph, July 29, 2013, 10:27:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

Hello all, just a little feedback on the day

As expected it was a quieter day because being summer people are on hols and at other weekend events and so on.

JD stayed all day and our local member owen dropped on for an couple house  as well at the usual drop ins to say hello and have a taste. Few or our regulars were away on holidays and my two sons were working.

As it was a quieter numbers for the brew kellie decided I have to look after my own food as she spent the day in the garden and gardening in the Polytunnel.

Justin suggested the parti Gyle and so it went

Plan was a parti gyle making two radically different beers. As JD was a little late I had already cracked the 4.5 Kg of whole grain malt.
I knew JD suggested the Pale so I proceeded with a basic Pale ale recipe:

4kg maris otter
150 g biscuit
100g  Amber
100g wheat

Mashed with our new super dupper but simple mash in a bag system ( worth seeing in action)  smooth clean, efficient (80% return)  easy to sparge, easy to dispose the spent grain.

Ok The hard bit:

We had to split the batch of mash into two brews.

The complicated bit was the beersmith software basicaly we had to take a gravity reading on our first runnings ( the first lot of wort before we sparged ( rinsed) the grain so as expected we got 9 litres at 1070.

Next bit we sparged in two rinses 7 litres and 3 litres which gave us our weak beer  so we now have 10 litres of strong wort and 10 litres of weaker wort>

OK from here we have to do two seperate brews: so two boils and so on  that the time consuming bit ::)

Brew 1... American amber ale:

og 10 litres at 1067 prob about 5.9% alcohol.

Hops were bravo for bittering vascade for late addition at 10 mins boil and Sonnet ( saaz x Goldings) for finish.
US05 yeast

Brew 2 English bitter

0g 1037 x 10 litres prob about 3.6 % alcohol

Hops were  Hersbruker and galena for bittering ( and some flavour) and Hersbruker for finishing at the end

Nottingham yeast

I used some of my usual tricks for yeast starter in the fermenter ( long story but simple approach) the American amber was fermenting away before bedtime ( 4 hours in) and the second batch was away and running this morning. Both smell beautiful sitting at 20 c.

Hopefully this little story was of interest to some who may want to try this approach to brewing 2 racilly differing beers in one day with the same mash

Justin and myself decided we are saving a few bottles for the Nationals in March just nice time to lager and mature a 6% hoppy beer.

Next brewday a month from now come and jump onboard..we dont do thisgs normal around here.. last brewday we made the spruce tree beer which has got super review from ordinary dudes and a guest I had from Chech republic this week....

any questions feel free to post...till the next brewday.. thanks to JD , ownd and all the popper inners and our regulars who couldnt make this one..

regards Brendan