• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 27, 2024, 01:53:43 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First Home Brew Started this evening . . .

Started by fishjam45 (Colin), November 11, 2013, 10:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishjam45 (Colin)

Evening all, I had a pop at my first home brew this evening. I'm going to quickly describe how I did it and if anybody has any comments or critique on how/what I did please feel free to voice your opinion or advice, it'd be much appreciated.

I sterilised all my gear and rinsed it in warm water after.
I added 2 kettle fulls of boiled water and a tin of Coopers Canadian Blonde and a tin of LME. The last contents of both tins were swished out with the hot water.
I filled up the FV to 23 litres and gave it another good stir.
Before I added the yeast I took a reading on my hydrometer. Can anyone tell me what the reading is? please have a look at my pics
After that I added the yeast, I gave it another stir and popped the lid on.  I added the airlock and put some cooled bold water into it.
Again, wit reference to my pictures, is it ok to leave the FV where it is? Its in a warm corner of my living room, away from direct sunlight but it will get some light. Should I cover it?

Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

irish_goat

That's a bit warm lad. You want to be aiming for around 18-20c.

Can't make out the hydrometer reading but it looks to be about 1.050, which is grand.

fishjam45 (Colin)

I have a brewbelt but am holding off adding it.  The ambient temp of my sitting room is generally between 18-20c so hopefully I wont need to add it at all, I'll keep an eye on the temp though, cheers.

The reading was showing on the bottom part of the "Red Part" which indicates "Start Beer" so I can only presume thats ok?
Garden County Brewers

sub82

Aye looks good - think it's around 1.040 so should be roughly 4%.

Keep us posted!

Eoin

What was the temperature of the wort when you took the hydrometer reading? 1.040 is the reading but it might need temperature correction.

Sent from my HTC One

delzep

Quote from: irish_goat on November 11, 2013, 10:14:40 PM

Can't make out the hydrometer reading but it looks to be about 1.050, which is grand.

Hope that was a typo... ???

beerfly

Temperature is about 23c, hydrometer will only be a point or 2 off so nothing to worry about.
Would not be to concerned with the temperature being on the higher side it should drop down overnight then you can see if you need the heat belt.

DEMPSEY

As the beer ferments it will generate a bit of heat so it will be a bit higher than room temp. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

LordEoin

November 12, 2013, 01:41:26 AM #8 Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:56:36 AM by LordEoin
The main thing is to keep the temperature constant.
Keeping it at a constant 24 will be better than having it lower but fluctuate over day/night cycles.
Coopers kits are originally made for the australian market and the yeast will work on up to about 28C I think.
But the higher the temperature or the mor the fluctuation, the more off flavours you'll have.
As goat says, 18-20 would be best for this kit
There should be no need to cover it where it is unless it is in direct sunlight.

irish_goat

fishjam45 (Colin)

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's great to be part of a forum like this where people are so helpful.I'll keep a close eye on the temp today so and aim to keep a constant temperature rather than allow it fluctuate between a certain temperature range over day and night.

Will keep you all posted as things progress.

Thanks again for your interest and help.
Garden County Brewers

Will_D

Reckon thats at 1.042 spot on.

Do you have a problem to read the hydrometer?
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

fishjam45 (Colin)

Quote from: Will_D on November 12, 2013, 11:26:07 AM
Reckon thats at 1.042 spot on.

Do you have a problem to read the hydrometer?

Yeah, as I'm a complete newbie I'm a bit unsure of how to "read" my readings.
I showed the missus the hydrometer last night and she seemed sure enough but I'm not too sure at all.
Garden County Brewers

DEMPSEY

Were you standing on the equator when you took the pic's :P
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Covey

Dont be too put off by that kit, its a bite Shite IMHO,  dounno why they want to put people off brewing. Lordeoin should show you how to do the Aussie pale ale hack always nice.
i wam wee todd did i am sofa king wee todd did