• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 08:03:04 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Beer heaven....Bavaria.. quick report on our 7 days

Started by brenmurph, June 04, 2014, 01:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

Myself and kellie are just back to normality after 7 days in bavaria. as well as touristy things we did a lot of research including 2 days in freising, weihenstephen, munich brewing university, beer tours, Andechs Kloster and a personalised proper tour of the Weihenstephen brew operation with  a running commentary on master brewing of lagers and weissbiers.

Beers of the week.

The whole range of Ayinger beers in their own  craft pub including two traditional brews  A "stout ale" and an unfiltered, unpasteurised lager and a truly outstanding pilsner.
After that it was Andechs Kloster...their double bock was outstanding and the flavours and aromas are embedded in our heads.

Others are too many to mention. kellie has untapped about 30+ BEERS every one excellent and she has a diary full of tasting notes on each one

Prices:

Most expensive beer half litre  weiss in Hofbrauhaus about 4 euros
Cheapest ( not cheap in flavour) 2.70 in a locak icecream parlour

Average price of top class beer  about <3 euros.

Double bock in andechs 20 cent more expensive than their weiss.
Double bock in Ayinger  about 30 cent more than a weiss @ 3.40 for half litre

Most memorable pint

kellie.....Ayinger old bavarian dark
Mine.... Ayinger old lager

Most memorable setting for a pint

kellie ... Very tuf decision but English gardens have to be experienced ( Mini munich beer fest)
Mine.... Sitting up in Andechs with a Double bock in glorious sunshine....after that....English gardens...after that sitting outside Weihenstephen  brewerry with a bottle of the  their basic lager...again in full sun

Can we recomend....definatly....total cost with unlimited travel, unlimited beer and unlimited food as well as comcert tickets a very special rock star party and 7 days of bavarian beer and flights about 500 euros inc spending and top class 4 star holtels (3 in total) all superb.
cant recomend it highly enough.
Anyone want first hand knowledge just ask

johnrm

Sounds like a great trip Bren.
I'm off to boring Lanzarote for a week...

Will_D

You've been on hols!  Thought so - I have been trying to phone you!

Will call you tomorrow
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Kellie

We certainly have been on hols Will............and what a holiday we had  :) :)

We were in beer heaven for sure, it's a beer paradise, we tried so many different beer and i have to say they all really impressed me! I thoroughly enjoyed the weihenstephen brewery tour, so informative and welcoming. And I was impressed with myself as I knew what the guide was talking about  ;) I'm learning all the time.

When we visited Andechs Kloster it was hilarious and a Stag party haven........(so all the ladies out there  ;) great fun to be had!I was offered €100 just for my bra!) and NO i didnt sell it!  ::)

The  English gardens definitely have to be experienced, its a great family day out and has a lovely atmosphere to it, there are lots of parks to explore so it's not just all about beer, but be careful you dont wander in to the nudist park!  ;)

For the ladies the shopping potential is endless.........my note to self is take more people with us next time so i can leave Brendan in a pub whilst I go and shop!!! ;D

So Brendan has summed it up really well and it really has been a memorable holiday in more ways than one!

Where to next???  :) :) :)

Rossa

Ayinger are incredible. Amazing beers. Sounds like a great trip. One on the beer bucket list for sure.

johnrm

DEMPSEY

My wife loves shopping and would prefer to leave me in the pub. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

brenmurph

Quote from: Rossa on June 04, 2014, 11:39:12 PM
Ayinger are incredible. Amazing beers. Sounds like a great trip. One on the beer bucket list for sure.

As I said earlier, we sat in the brewery pub and every beer was exceptional some  even better than that...and never heard of them till monday this week.

yes if the club was organising a trip we took a lot of notes, stayed in fantastic hotals ( avg 80euros double room inc a gut stretching breakfast feast) and weihenstephaner is brew heaven. A euro for a 500ml bottle and 3 euros in the pub...  so we have ( kellie has a notebook diary of 7 days in freising / weihen / munich...we can advise

LordEoin

brenmurph

Of course they do LE. In the Irish pubs. U spot them easy....the only pubs wit a half dozen bouncers outside. Other than that u find it in due supermarket

alealex

Good to hear you had good time guys.
I've 25kg of speciality malts in the car Bren. I'll be passing your place tomorrow, would I drop it off or are you working tomorrow morn?
Bad day brewing is better than good day working.

brenmurph