• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 12:36:15 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

AW Root Beer Extract/Clone Recipe ?

Started by Greg2013, January 31, 2015, 08:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg2013

Non alcoholic 1:1 clone recipe for AW root beer for a friend or as close as,tried ordering extract from USA but dayum expensive with shipping. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

mr hoppy

The recipe in Fix the Pumps for "mead" (root beer) calls for sassafras extract, wintergreen extract, and sarsaparilla extracts as well as caramel, ginger, all spice and cloves. Not sure where you'd get sassafras (or wintergreen) extract as they are both North American plants but I'd imagine it would be a fairly essential as it's a big part of the root beer flavor.

You might have already looked there but there's a good Soda forum on homebrewtalk.

I've also seen A&W for sale in a few random places - Heuston Station being one.

Greg2013

Quote from: mr hoppy on January 31, 2015, 09:49:22 AM
The recipe in Fix the Pumps for "mead" (root beer) calls for sassafras extract, wintergreen extract, and sarsaparilla extracts as well as caramel, ginger, all spice and cloves. Not sure where you'd get sassafras (or wintergreen) extract as they are both North American plants but I'd imagine it would be a fairly essential as it's a big part of the root beer flavor.

You might have already looked there but there's a good Soda forum on homebrewtalk.

I've also seen A&W for sale in a few random places - Heuston Station being one.

Yep you can get AW in a few places but place that sold it here closed down,what i want to do is knock up and force carb a batch in a corny keg to give to him.I was rather hoping i could just buy the extract ready to dilute with water and force carb tbh. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Greg2013

Quote from: mr hoppy on January 31, 2015, 12:28:22 PM
Saw this on HBT after seeing your message:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/sassafras-extract-other-non-carcinogentic-sassafras-options-175781/

???

I had forgotten i was actually a member on HBT but it has been ages since i used it so i put up a post in the soda section so ty for that.You know what i quite like root beer myself and i am not a fan of soft drinks in general,it would be a nice non alcoholic alternative for myself too. ;D

mr hoppy

Here's a fairly straightforward cola recipe while we're on the subject.

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013686-cola-syrup

I've made it a few times and while you shouldn't expect a Coke clone it's pretty good.

Greg2013

I found a decent link and below is basically what i need but to get it here,i emailed that link below last year sometime but shipping was atrocious. ;D

http://www.biyhomebrewsupply.com/products/rootbeerextract