• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:46:52 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Imperial Oatmeal Chocolate honey biscuit Stout

Started by JMK8, March 29, 2019, 10:06:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMK8

Morning all,  I am brewing an imperial oatmeal chocolate honey biscuit stout at the weekend but I am not sure what yeast to use.  This is an experimental brew so I am only doing a 5litre batch. Rip it apart all you want!  I know there is a lot in the grain bill.

It will be a 90 min boil.  OG is 1.106  FG is 1.026  ABV is 10.2  IBU is 53.9   Eff=63%

1.8kg Maris Otter Pale (66%)
150g Malted Naked Oats (5%)
150g Flaked oats (5%)
180g Chocolate (7%)
100g Honey Malt (4%)
150g Biscuit Malt (5%)
100g Roasted Barley (4%)
100g Crystal 60L (3%)

10g Nugget @ 90 mins
12g East Kent Golding @15 mins

Yeast I have no idea.  Dont want to spend alot of money on liquid irish ale yeast as it is only a 5L batch.  Possibly nottingham ale, S-04, US-05 or  M15 Empire Ale Mangrove Jacks??

Going to add cacao nibs @ 10mins in boil and cacao nibs and 1/2 a vanilla pod soaked in irish whiskey for 7-10 days after fermentation.

Any ideas on the yeast

phildo79

Not sure your OG is correct.

I have used S-04 for a number of years now and brewed many stouts. Works well for me.

JMK8

Thanks!  Yea I have a packet of it in the fridge.  In my head its between it and nottingham ale

phildo79

With an OG of 1.106, I'd use more than 1 packet of yeast.

JMK8

The yeast pitch calculators I have used have said 1 packet should be enough?  Do you think I will need two for a 5 litre batch?

nigel_c

phildo79

Perhaps one would be enough for such a small batch.

DEMPSEY

More like a porter than a stout. The 4% roast will be drowned by all that sweetness you have in the rest of the malts.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

delzep

JMK8

Quote from: DEMPSEY on March 30, 2019, 04:13:37 AM
More like a porter than a stout. The 4% roast will be drowned by all that sweetness you have in the rest of the malts.

Fair point. Would you suggest maybe upping the roast to around 8%?

DEMPSEY

Depends on what you want this to taste of. More roast will make it more of a stout. How sweet do you think it will be.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

nigel_c

1.026 fg is gonna be very sweet.
There is also chocolate malt in the recipe that will go towards the roasty. For a normal stout id aim for about 10% roasted but for imperial I'd well up that.