• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 10:01:27 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Buying Beer Online

Started by jonmuni, October 08, 2019, 08:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonmuni

Hi chaps,

I bought some beer from the Left Handed Giant last week, an 8 pack. It wasn't cheap and neither was shipping but it was a treat, so splurged.

I then get a letter saying its been seized under the finance act and to contact revenue. I've emailed and await a response.

I'm just wondering, in this day and age of importing beer via brewers websites and beer clubs a la Mikkeller from EU states, what is exactly is the law on importing small quantities of beer?

If there is duty/excise to be paid and you get "selected" what are the rates?

It's the first time this has happened for me and am surprised considering that its only 8 cans of beer.

If anyone has any further info please let me know, I'm curious to see what the law is and what the difference between it and the reality actually is.

Cheers!

Jon

Qs

I was ordering semi-regularly from Honest Brew and got a box of beer seized once as it went through Parcel Motel. I just emailed them and said it was just for me and that it was beer I couldn't get here, etc. They asked me for the invoice and after that they released the package back to me with no fees and said don't do it again. It is a duty issue so its the revenue who seize it. Very annoying given that we're supposed to be in a single market but it is what it is. Now I mostly just use craft central or get it shipped to people I know in the north.

JMK8

I live in the north but I have ordered from beerhawk, honestbrew, omnipollo, beer republic and beerguim over the last two years with no problems at all.