• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 09:55:27 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Minch Heirloom Malts

Started by guest2162, October 08, 2019, 09:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: Andrew on October 15, 2019, 01:37:01 PM
Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on October 11, 2019, 10:27:08 AM
So you managed to get some of this malt? Can you tell me where/how you got it?

Got it from The Homebrew Company, as per the instructions at the back of the BrewCon booklet.

Ah so its not on general release then.

nigel_c

I'm teaming up with another brewer and doing a mighty big English barley wine with out malts. Should really show what this malt has to offer.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: nigel_c on October 16, 2019, 12:04:07 PM
I'm teaming up with another brewer and doing a mighty big English barley wine with out malts. Should really show what this malt has to offer.

Let me know when the tasting is on. If I was to do make a barley wine with this malt I would be tempted to make it single malt, just with the hunter, and forego any character malts for flavour etc. But its your beer etc.

We did a barley wine a while back that was super clean. It got the barrel aging treatment etc. But I recall that we used just maris otter and a little bit of extra dark crystal. WLP028 and a bunch of the usual english hops. I recall that this was drinkable once the bottles conditioned, as opposed to other barley wines that need to be laid down for months to a year to balance out (the barrel treatment helped here).