• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 20, 2024, 03:11:40 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Ucc Brew Club

Started by diarmaid_h, February 14, 2013, 10:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

diarmaid_h

New to this forum,

I seen on Beoir a few weeks back someone posted something about a Ucc home brew club.

Anyone know if anything became of this or was it just a passing interest?

Diarmaid

Ciderhead

February 14, 2013, 11:28:17 AM #1 Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:28:47 AM by Ciderhead
If there isn't there are some great brewers locally that regularly meet up to get you off the ground

diarmaid_h

Cool, good to know!

Hopefully gonna get my first starter kit in the next couple of weeks and get going :)

Will_D

QuoteCool, good to know!

Hopefully gonna get my first starter kit in the next couple of weeks and get going :)

Welcome to the best most friendly HB web group that we know about.

Sugest you have a look at this link

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1358120622

It really does demystify the kit process.

Explore, search ask lots of questions thats what we are about.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Taf

QuoteNew to this forum,

I seen on Beoir a few weeks back someone posted something about a Ucc home brew club.

Anyone know if anything became of this or was it just a passing interest?

Diarmaid

I replied by PM back to the person from UCC who posted on Beoir, offering to host a brewday for them, but didn't hear anything back from them.

Keep an eye on the forum here for brewdays, and ask around UCC to see if a club does materialise.

diarmaid_h

I replied by PM back to the person from UCC who posted on Beoir, offering to host a brewday for them, but didn't hear anything back from them.

Keep an eye on the forum here for brewdays, and ask around UCC to see if a club does materialise.

That was where I first head of it on Beoir! but I suppose I'll keep the ear to the ground and see what happens!

Sound for the responses, any recommendations on a good starter kit?

Ciderhead

February 14, 2013, 04:24:08 PM #6 Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:24:55 PM by Ciderhead
we were all weaned on coopers, depends on your preferred style of beer, have a look at some of the success and failure stories in the kit part of the forum

LordEoin

February 17, 2013, 11:48:48 AM #7 Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 11:51:07 AM by eoinlayton@hotmail
And some of us stay on the Coopers kits.  ;D
40 minute brewday, foolproof and lots of room to play.

I'd recommend one of the following for simple recipes:
English Bitter + 1kg Light DME + kit yeast to 23 Liters, ferment 18C
Irish Stout + 500g dark DME+ 500g Wheat DME + 300g Dextrose, kit yeast, to 23L, 22C -
Wheat Beer + 1kg wheat DME + wb06 yeast, to 22L, 22C
Australian Pale Ale + 1kg Light DME + 300g carapils + US05 yeast + (30g cascade+30g Amarillo) 30min steep, to 21L, 18C

Blackbrew

I knocked out a muntons 2 can stout kit (black pearl)in about 10mins at the weekend when teaching the brother in law to brew with a kit I got him. Only head scratching moment was the tap which protruded flush from the bottom of the bucket. It's twists around 180' not a design I had seen before. 10 mins included sterilising time (althought I did bring starsan with me) and me waffling on about various brewing stuff. Hope it turns out nice for him!

derfel

I'd be very interested in a UCC homebrew club too.
I'll be bottling my first Coopers kit this weekend - it'd be handy to have a few people to chat to about the process.

diarmaid_h

February 21, 2013, 10:19:08 AM #10 Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 10:20:01 AM by diarmaid_h
Just brewed my first batch of Coopers last night, the waiting game begins!! :D

My main interest in seeing if there was a college society for pursuing this is that there's the chance of getting both money and expereince from the college but I've heard that the students union will flat out refuse to support a group of people who want to make alcohol! Can't see why, most other clubs are a huge excuse for a piss up! :)

However an unofficial club might be possible, or a yeast appreciation society in conjunction with food science??

Blackbrew

February 21, 2013, 12:20:25 PM #11 Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:21:10 PM by Blackbrew
QuoteJust brewed my first batch of Coopers last night, the waiting game begins!! :D

My main interest in seeing if there was a college society for pursuing this is that there's the chance of getting both money and expereince from the college but I've heard that the students union will flat out refuse to support a group of people who want to make alcohol! Can't see why, most other clubs are a huge excuse for a piss up! :)

However an unofficial club might be possible, or a yeast appreciation society in conjunction with food science??

Come along to the next rebel brewers meeting at the FW there is lots of experience to be had, and although no money, lots of free beer to try (which if I remember my time in uni is basically the same thing). If we meet in April (which i guess we will) your Coopers kit should be ready to try aswell  :)

diarmaid_h

Haha cool I will definitely come along! :)

Although I'd be hesitant to be letting seasoned pros taste such swill :D

johnrm

Hey Diarmuid,
You could surprise yourself and impress everybody.
We promise to be gentle  :)

(Bleddy college pups, they think they know it all... tsk, tsk)

Ciderhead

QuoteHey Diarmuid,
You could surprise yourself and impress everybody.
We promise to be gentle  :)

(Bleddy college pups, they think they know it all... tsk, tsk)

You forgot "I'm paying for your feckers to sit around and drink beer"