• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 17, 2024, 09:29:46 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Ucc Brew Club

Started by diarmaid_h, February 14, 2013, 10:57:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnrm

I assume that is in reference to taxes.
We'll just have to try and leave a legacy like the generation before us!

Creedence

Hello everyone, new to this forum too.

I've been brewing since Christmas myself, have just done my first 3 brews as modified kits, moving on to extract now. A friend of mine (who's just doing his first brew at the moment) is the Auditor of the Enviromental Society and they're setting up a sort of Brew Club as such - it's starting with a demo by one of the post-grad students studying in the microbrewery there, think it's supposed to be on next week. Will let ye know day and time as soon as I find out.
Think they're planning on doing a tour of the brewery at the second meeting too.

I wouldn't mind getting something going as an aside to it where we even just meet up every couple of weeks to share our beers and our recipes. Hopefully something will materialize from this event anyway.
Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning: Cascade IPA, TCP (The Citrus Pilsener)
Planning: Dark Ale, Hefeweizen, Post-Punk Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Extra Stout, Vanilla Choc Porter

LordEoin

Sounds good Creedence. Welcome :)

johnrm

Welcome creedence
I wouldn't mind popping among to these,  is is open past students?

diarmaid_h

Brilliant! I've just bottled the first Brew too! Cool so is that going to be the week of the 11th? I won't be around next week but would definitely like to get involved!!

derfel

it sounds like there are plenty of home brewers around! a brewery tour would be fantastic.

Komodo021

When's the next meet up guys?

Creedence

Seemingly the confirmed date for this is now Wednesday the 20th (2 weeks from today). Will let ye know times and venue once I know it.

Don't think they'll be holding the first event in the brewery as it's only going to be a kit brew, but depending on numbers if there aren't too many of us they may be arranging the brewery tour after that. We'll see sure, not sure how big or small the take-up of a brew club amongst students is going to be!

In the meantime, looking forward to getting involved with the rest of ye, and looking forward to coming along to the next meet-up.
Primary:
Secondary:
Planning: Dark Ale, Hefeweizen, Post-Punk Pale Ale, Belgian Dubbel, Extra Stout, Vanilla Choc Porter

derfel

I know a few people have tried setting up Home Brew Societies, but they were turned down on the grounds that it would "encourage drinking". Hopefully that won't be a problem.

diarmaid_h

All societies encourage drinking!! 

Creedence

QuoteI know a few people have tried setting up Home Brew Societies, but they were turned down on the grounds that it would "encourage drinking". Hopefully that won't be a problem.

It's true that you're not allowed promote alcohol consumption at all (have to refer to "beverages" instead of beer or any other alcoholic drinks), and I was talking to my sister about it, who's involved in the Envirosoc too, and I think they're going to have to advertise it as a Biotechnology workshop to avoid it getting shut down.
Primary:
Secondary:

derfel

that sounds like a good way to get around the problem. the place is supposed to be about research and learning after all :)

Will_D

What about a "Yeast and Malt Apreciation Society"

Sung to this well known theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXUQlmO-L8s
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

thats too fecking weird I was looking at that vid yeasterday for another reason :o

diarmaid_h

Sung to this well known theme:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXUQlmO-L8s

"Gotta get a blooming brew on!"