• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 01:17:14 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Seasonal Wine, Early June - Elderflower Champagne

Started by LordEoin, May 31, 2013, 11:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LordEoin

I made up a big bottle of double concentrated Cordial which tastes great (double everything with same amount of water). Gonna try individually priming a few bottles of Ale with it on my next batch. Even if it doesn't work, it's still a tasty dilutable :)

RichC

Do any of you guys treat this stuff with campden and use champagne yeast? Any reason why this would/wouldnt be a good idea? Im also thinking of letting it ferment fully and then bottle priming?

Thanks

nigel_c

I heat mine to about near boil , hold for about 10 mins then crash cool. Pitch yeast of choice and off it goes. Must give campden tablets a go in the next batch i make. Im a bit weirded out by wild yeast.

loftybush

Forgot I had this fermenting.
Checked the gravity reading and its at around 1.014 at the moment. I presume this will ferment out to 1.000 as its all sugar really.

I have two 1 gallon batches, I was thinking of carbonating one and leaving the other flat.

For the flat one, if I chucked in a couple of camden tablets, would that kill off the yeast, as I don't want it getting any drier, or fermenting in the bottles?

I was going to leave the other to ferment for another week down close to 1.000, sweeten with a small bit of artificial sweetener, prime and bottle.

Any advice or tips, or comments in general on my plan above?

nigel_c

Transferred mine yesterday. Sample in very promising. Pretty clear already. I think I have some wine finings so should come crystal clear.

Metattron

Popped some bottles this evening and went down very well. Very well carbed and still has some sweetness. Wishing I had made more than one gallon. Well, I'll know for next year. Carboy at the ready!
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

LordEoin

knowing  for next year  is the way forward.
make a gallon of everything when you can, then the next time the seasons come around you'll know which ones you want to tweek and make in bulk!  ;D

Blueshed

i under pitched my brew and is now stuck on 1065, the OG was 1085 12 days ago.

have some Youngs cider yeast, would that be ok to chuck in to restart or would i be better off trying to get more wine yeast.

LordEoin

Blueshed

Quote from: LordEoin on July 04, 2014, 10:30:06 PM
youngs cider yeast should be fine

went ahead and used the cider yeast last night.

Tom

I made two batches of this drink. The first without yeast nutrient
and the second with, once I'd remembered to order some.
The difference to me is the hot alcohol flavour is non existent
in the second, where it's there, but low, in the first. All other
Fermentation conditions were about the same.

Just popping that in there.