• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 03, 2024, 07:05:37 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Large Cider Batch

Started by LiamTutty, December 15, 2014, 03:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiamTutty

Afternoon all,

I started a large batch of cider yesterday and notice that I do things slightly differently to some of the pointers on here.

I've written a blog post about the batch we have on the go here: http://cumminsirishcider.com/wp/large-apple-cider-batch/

I notice that I pitch the campden tablets and pectolase simultaneously 24 hours before adding a yeast starter - is there a better way to do that or is it just preference?

If anyone has any pointers or tips or can even spot any glaring errors, then please let me know! I'm largely self taught and have probably picked up some terrible habits!

Thanks,
Liam.

Will_D

Quote from: LiamTutty on December 15, 2014, 03:34:17 PM
I notice that I pitch the campden tablets and pectolase simultaneously 24 hours before adding a yeast starter - is there a better way to do that or is it just preference?
Pectolase does not like alcohol so you are quite correct:

CTs: Suppress the bacteria (if present) and have a slight influence on the wild yeasts
Pectolase: Starts to break down the Pectin. Next day you pitch the yeast starter (or just leave the wild bunch to do it "au-naturel")

Fermentaation eventually starts and by the time there is a significant amount of alcohol the Pectolase should have done its job
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

LiamTutty

Thanks Will.

Moving from demi-johns and the smaller ferm-bin...how long should it be before I see airlock action? I'm thinking anything within 7 days would be pretty quick...but again, that's guesswork.

Will_D

If using a starter then should definitely see airlock activity with 7 days I would have thought.

Trouble is that the bigger bin's lids don't seal very well and so show no activity untill there is loads of CO2 comming off then you will see it bubbling.

If the fermenters are translucent then you may see a head forming which shows you activity. Also your nose should detect the apply/sulphury smell comming from fermentation gases.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

LiamTutty

Speaking of apply smells...I was a little worried by the lack of apple smell from the juice. It smelled like Raisin Juice...is this normal?

It was a bit more apply to the taste, but still very raisiny. I'm assuming that is just the strength of the natural tannins?