• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 07:34:48 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[REVIEW] Craft Range Blonde Lager

Started by Chris, June 04, 2014, 10:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Quote from: Wexbrew on November 01, 2014, 12:22:37 AM
Brilliant :)

The box says that the expected abv is 4.4% and the instructions say that it should be bottled at a final gravity of 1.009; I just assumed that my 1.012 would result in a brew with a lower abv.
the estimations on the box depend on many variables. How much liquid is boiled off etc. The only way to tell in future is to remember to take an OG reading before you pitch the yeast. 1.009 final gravity would be quite low in my opinion but I'm open to correction. Either way it a really good extract kit to cut your teeth on.
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

Ratoathbrewing

This was also my first brew. Came out quite flat but I think it must've been because I didn't add enough of the carbonation drops. Personally I still thought it tasted quite nice (as did some of my tasters ) I was just raging that it wasn't a bit more fizzy but lesson learnef

johnrm

January 03, 2015, 12:34:48 AM #32 Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:36:31 PM by johnrm
Did you do 1 carb drop per 500ml?
That's about 7g/l, try 8g/l of table sugar and batch prime next time around.
[Edit to avert explosions]

LordEoin

easy there cowboy... 10g/l is a bit much.

johnrm

January 03, 2015, 09:34:35 AM #34 Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 12:35:26 PM by johnrm
Boom. I have it in my head those carb drops are 3.5g ea.
Have a look jet for safer results...
http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/

GBrew

Hi I have just finished bottling this kit. Hops were added on day 8 and in total the beer was in the bucket for 12 full days with a FG of 1.012. I wanted to leave in the fermenter for longer but the hops can't stay any longer than 3 days. was hoping to get a good alcohol content but not sure how to calculate as I didn't take a sg. Any advise?

I used two carn drops per 500 ml

Is this correct or should I prepare the bunker in case of bottle bombs ? 8)

LordEoin

Just take the OG from the original post, it's the same ingredients sure :)
OG 1.056

2 carb drops per 500ml is lot, that's 12-14grams per liter

GBrew

Thanks for the response.

I wasn't sure to use one or two with one being for 330 ml and 2 for 750

This is my first time brewing and really hope I have not ruined it?!

LordEoin

just keep an eye on them and if the pressure gets too strong open and reseal them occasionally

Padraich

If you're using the plastic Coopers bottles, they can handle 2 drops as I've done that a few times with no ill effect.  Just beer that can be quite heady.  You might need to check that the bottle lids are still fully tight after two or three days, but other than that, there's no need to panic.

If you're using glass, I don't know the score with them.

grizzybeard

Quote from: HomeBrewWest on June 13, 2014, 10:50:28 PM

Its important because of the dry hopping schedule . . . the hops should only stay in the beer for 3 days so that's why the instructions suggest about 20 oC and a daily timeline. Get it to 20 oC, leave for 3 more days, add the hops and bottle 3 days later.

Can I ask why 3 days is important?

I often pour the hot wort on to bagged 0 minute hops before cooling in the fermenter, I have noticed no discernible flaw from leaving the hops in. 3 days seems a very short dry hop? Is that whats required for the style, or does leaving wort upon hops for too long introduce a flaw which I have not detected?

HomeBrewWest

Check other posts here (Tube ?), too many hops for too long can lead to "grassy" flavors. I'm no expert on dry hopping but these new kits do tend to give best results when the instructions are followed to the letter. This is very different to "traditional" kits when yeasts etc. were very different.
"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer." Abraham Lincoln. www.homebrewwest.ie

grizzybeard

January 27, 2015, 11:06:04 PM #42 Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:22:42 PM by grizzybeard
Quote from: HomeBrewWest on January 27, 2015, 08:30:06 PM
Check other posts here (Tube ?), too many hops for too long can lead to "grassy" flavors. I'm no expert on dry hopping but these new kits do tend to give best results when the instructions are followed to the letter. This is very different to "traditional" kits when yeasts etc. were very different.

Thanks. It's not something I've ever had a problem with. The only 'grassy' experience I've had has come from dry hopping with fuggles- though I don't think it was time that caused that problem.

Perhaps it's that I'm not currently really dry hopping, but just not removing the 0 minute additions.

GBrew

It's been 5 days since bottling with 2 carb drops in my 500 ml cooper pet bottles.

Only a few lids had to be fully re tightened there tonight  :-*

When I hold them up to the light they are not clear and have what appears to be sediment at the bottom.

Is this what I want to be seeing?

I reckon I will transfer the bottles to my kitchen which is like a fridge these days on Friday evening for another week for clearing.

Should that be enough time before eventually pouring a pint ?

With regards to the hops and the three days I just read that on numerous forums etc

Thanks  O0

LordEoin

Give them a good 2 weeks in the warmth to carb up. moving them to the cold when they're not finished fermenting the priming sugar will give you less fizz and more residual sugar.

What you're seeing is perfectly normal. They won't clear up for a few weeks and the sediment on te bottom will compact a bit and stay in the bottle if you pour gently.

But sure, pour yourself a pint anyway. It will be cloudy and half carbonated but at least you'll get an idea of where it's going.
You're allowed to be impatient if you want. It's your beer  ;D