• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 03:35:09 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Jebbs Slovenian Challenge

Started by Will_D, February 15, 2016, 08:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

I have been thinking about this - and its not easy.

The style can also be decided on after the beer is made - you may design an American Ale but it turns out like a English IPA.

A lot of people in the Nationals were re-categorising there beers before the final entry dates.

So if you register an entry into a specific category you can always change the category when you have assessed the beer.

As Colm says the judges won't be told what hops have been used, but we would like to know what Slovenian hops and other bittering hops have been used.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

irish_goat

But what happens if I enter an English IPA and the judges look at the guidelines to see;

Quote"Aroma: A moderate to moderately-high hop aroma of floral,
spicy-peppery or citrus-orange in nature is typical. A slightly
grassy dry-hop aroma is acceptable, but not required. Low to moderate fruitiness is acceptable. "

But the Slovenian hops I have don't match this and their descriptions promise aromas and flavours of;

Quote"Tropical fruits, blueberries, melon, raspberries, elderflower, violet."
and
Quote"Apple, pineapple, tropical fruits, passion fruit, strawberries, anise."

molc

It's always tricky applying BJCP when people are trying out something different.

From a styles perspective, your example it means the hops don't produce the desired characteristics for that style of beer. It could be entered in specialty IPA category though, with notes added as to the expected hop profile. There are a number of these "catch all" categories for situations like this.

There is space in the BJCP guidelines for beers that don't fit in some of the brackets. At the end of a day, a good beer will show through. If it's a case that the hops produce a profile that people don't feel fit a category, then that's where the notes come into their own.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

irish_goat

Happy to put it into Speciality IPA, except...

Quotethe entrant
must describe the type of Specialty IPA and its key
characteristics in comment form so judges will know what to
expect. Entrants may specify specific hop varieties used, if
entrants feel that judges may not recognize the varietal
characteristics of newer hops.

molc

I think the style guide should take priority for all entries.

Any entry where descriptive text is required should be given to the judges, as that is the only way they can judge it correctly.

If the hops were used to make an English ipa, then the variety has no impact on the judges comments and should not be provided to them.

Do we need to update the rules or is the fact we say it's a bjcp competition enough do you reckon?
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Will_D

The fact that its a registered Bjcp competition does not mean it has to be judged to the style guidlines.

Bjcp registered means how the competition is run, It is run to the Bjcp competition standards.

It is meant to be a bit of fun and really the only reason for the style to be mentioned is so that it allows us to put the beers into flights!

@geterbrewed

We have a few of the Slovenian Hops samples that went unclaimed if anyone needs some extra for this competition, ill check exactly whats left if its of interest.
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

JayMc

Quote from: @geterbrewed on March 22, 2016, 08:19:39 AM
We have a few of the Slovenian Hops samples that went unclaimed if anyone needs some extra for this competition, ill check exactly whats left if its of interest.

I'd be interested, is there any Styrian Aurora or Styrian Cascade left?
Head Brewer
3 Brewers, Toronto

Acott

I'd be interested, I plan on putting an order in with you at the end of this week  :)

cruiscinlan

As would I, in retrospect I should have gone for the full Capital allocation as there was no other individual intersted.

@geterbrewed

We gave away 45kg in total of Slovenian hops to various forums and micro breweries and the feedback has been unbelievable so far, we have a small box of mixed 50g packets left so add a note in the comment box of your preference and we'll try and accomodate as best as possible.

Thanks for running the competition to showcase this great hop region

Jonathan
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

Will_D

Just Bumping this:

Quote from: molc on March 20, 2016, 07:21:58 PM
Entry form is now live! Good luck everyone.

http://bit.ly/1UIqnqQ

When you enter, you should get an e-mail with your entry number and also bottle labels to attach to your entries. These can be given in to your local club and will then find their way to the North County.

If you have any issues, just let us know.

Acott

Quote from: @geterbrewed on March 24, 2016, 09:41:42 AM
We gave away 45kg in total of Slovenian hops to various forums and micro breweries and the feedback has been unbelievable so far, we have a small box of mixed 50g packets left so add a note in the comment box of your preference and we'll try and accomodate as best as possible.

Thanks for running the competition to showcase this great hop region

Jonathan

Excellent, order placed  :)

fobster

So closing date is the 1st May, what's the drop-off deadline?!

Thanks,

Fiachra

Will_D

Quote from: fobster on March 29, 2016, 11:58:31 AM
So closing date is the 1st May, what's the drop-off deadline?!
Fiachra

I have just updated the OP with revised dates:

Registration opens: is now Open !
Registration Closes: Sun 8th May
Drop points: You local club will act as drop point [Note: No walk-ins on the day!]
Drop offs Close: Sun 15th May