• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 05:12:43 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

GCB NEIPA Comp

Started by Leann ull, December 26, 2016, 08:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leann ull

December 26, 2016, 08:16:16 PM Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:24:22 PM by CH
BJCP Registered, to be judged to the following Criteria

21B. Speciality IPA: New England IPA

Overall Impression
An unfiltered, soft-bodied, American IPA low in bitterness. Showcases the bright flavors and aromas of American or New World hops through its balance, mouthfeel, and yeast character. Drinkability is a key characteristic.

Aroma
A prominent to intense hop aroma typically citrus, tropical fruit, stone fruit, floral, berry, melon; pine and spice are less common but acceptable. Most versions are dry hopped and have an additional resinous or grassy fresh hop aroma, this is desireable but not required. Some clean malty-grainy aroma may be found in the background, generally with no caramel component. Low to medium fruity esters.
A restrained alcohol note may be present, but this should be minimal.

Appearance
Color ranges from gold to light reddish-amber. Medium-sized, white to off-white head with good persistence. Hazy to cloudy, even turbid. Dry hopping contributes to haziness. The high protein content of wheat and/or oats impairs clarity in an unfiltered beer, although the level of haze is somewhat variable. Suspended yeast sediment can contribute to cloudiness.

Flavor
Hop flavor is medium to very high, with American or New World hop characteristics such as citrus, floral, tropical fruit, stone fruit, resinous, berry, melon, etc. Low to medium bitterness, any lingering bitterness should not be harsh. Low to medium-low malt flavor, generally clean or grainy-sweet; caramel or toasty flavors should be minimal. Low to medium yeast character is common, sometimes peach- or apricot-like. Dry to medium-dry finish; low residual sweetness is acceptable.  A light, clean alcohol flavor is not a fault in stronger versions.

Mouthfeel
Medium-light to medium body with medium to medium-high carbonation. No harsh hop-derived astringency. Smooth, with creaminess from wheat and/or slickness from oats. Suspended yeast may increase the perception of body.

Comments
Can range from a smoother, hazier, juicier interpretation of an American IPA to an opaque "fruit smoothie" that might seem more like fresh squeezed juice than beer. When judging, allow for differences in interpretation. May have a pungent, dank hop character usually found only in wet hop beers.

History
Based on Head Topper from The Alchemist, first canned in 2011, which became popular using an English house yeast and extensive late hopping to create its fruity character. Later producers employed a combination of hop flavor-enhancing techniques that together produce the signature haze. Variously referred to as "Vermont IPA" to reflect its origins or "North East IPA" because several prominent early producers are outside of New England in New York. This style continues to evolve.
Characteristic Ingredients
Pale, two-row or Pilsen malts, including British varieties. American or New World hops, especially newer varietals providing distinct characteristics, with a concentration on late and dry-hopping. High-protein malts such as oats or wheat contribute mouthfeel and polyphenols for enhanced hop character. Minimal use of crystal malts, if any. Sugar additions to aid attenuation are acceptable. English yeast strains are estery, medium- to low- attenuating and medium- to low-flocculating. High chloride levels accentuate mouthfeel.

Style Comparison
Cloudier, less bitter, softer and often fruitier than an American IPA. Many modern American IPAs are also hazy and fruity but have a crisp finish and a higher perceived bitterness; these beers should be entered as American IPA.
Entry Instructions
Entrant must specify a strength (session, standard, double); if no strength is specified, standard will be assumed. Entrants may specify specific hop varieties used, if entrants feel that judges may not recognize the varietal characteristics of newer hops.

Vital Statistics
IBUs: 35 - 70
SRM: 4 - 14
OG: 1.045 - 1.085
FG: 1.010 - 1.018
ABV: 4.5% - 10.0%

Commercial Examples
Tree House Julius, Trillium Congress Street, Other Half Green Diamonds, Grimm Tesseract, Great Notion Juice Box, Cloudwater DIPA v3

Details of the Competition

There will be prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places, to be advised at a future date..

Although not compulsory organisers would ask that the recipe and method used is published to benefit others.

Timing
This is a odd situation in that brewing the beer it needs to be as fresh as possible. With the collection closing at the drop points 2 weeks before judging Nationwide I know that doesn't help those trying to bottle condition and so if you attach a "post it" along side the entry form under an elastic band I will make sure its kept at 20 Degrees to ensure its finished conditioning that extra week. It will be put in the cold room at the venue 2 days before judging.
If there is no post it, I will just leave in shed and it will be relabelled a couple of days.   

Maximum 50 entries.

Dropoints: We would kindly ask for the kind support of the Local Club Reps to help us act as drop points. If any club is not in a position to do that can you drop me a pm and we can make alternative arrangements.
Please note its better if you are known to your club to do this, if you have no club pm me and we will see what we can do.
Don't feel precluded just because you live in West Kerry or Donegal. 

Dates
Late March – Registration open
1st May – Entries to drop points deadline strictly enforced, its to allow all entries to be collected
14th May – Judging

Venue : Taproom Wicklow Wolf Brewery (Closed Event by Invitation Only, you really need me to explain why)

As many entries as you like per brewer.

€5 or £5 per entry.

The nasty stuff;
2 x 500ml brown bottles per entry with entry labels attached.
Full NHC Members only, membership valid in judging day to win.
NO MARKINGS NO FLIPTOPS
Entry label only secured to bottle with elastic band, no tape or glue.

Leann ull

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

molc

1.CH
2.DEMPSEY
3. Molc - can judge too

Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Damo

yep, I'm in

1.CH
2.DEMPSEY
3. Molc - can judge too
4. Damo

BrewDorg

1.CH
2.DEMPSEY
3. Molc - can judge too
4. Damo
5. BrewDorg

Pheeel

Why restrict it to NEIPA? I don't like my beers looking like blended baby crap!!
Issues with your membership? PM me!

DEMPSEY

Eeh I was thinking of my coconut IPA.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Leann ull

Quote from: Pheeel on December 27, 2016, 05:11:23 PM
I don't like my beers looking like blended baby crap!!

been a few years but don't ever recollect blending it, that could be an appearance target

fishjam45 (Colin)

1.CH
2.DEMPSEY
3. Molc - can judge too
4. Damo
5. BrewDorg
6. fishjam45
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

mick02

January 05, 2017, 11:13:55 AM #10 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:58:26 PM by mick02
Fuck it ... I've never brewed a NEIPA but I'll give it a go   ;)

1.CH
2.DEMPSEY
3. Molc - can judge too
4. Damo
5. BrewDorg
6. fishjam45
7. mick02
NHC Committee member

BigDanny84

I'm up for it

1.CH
2.DEMPSEY
3. Molc - can judge too
4. Damo
5. BrewDorg
6. fishjam45
7. mick02
8. BigDanny84

pob

1.CH
2.DEMPSEY
3. Molc - can judge too
4. Damo
5. BrewDorg
6. fishjam45
7. mick02
8. BigDanny84
9. pob - can judge

Jonnycheech

1.CH
2.DEMPSEY
3. Molc - can judge too
4. Damo
5. BrewDorg
6. fishjam45
7. mick02
8. BigDanny84
9. pob - can judge
10. Johnny
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Leann ull

Guys to add I'm going to try and do National collections so don't feel left out if you are not Dublin Based!
Other point is that probably some stage in May, as most get a taste for comps after the Nationals.