• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 05:01:35 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

National Brewing Championships 2019

Started by mick02, April 10, 2018, 01:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shanna

Some random thoughts from working as a steward on the day, acting as a drop point for bottles and also helping out with the bottle sorting.

Cable ties and a ladder for hanging up the bloody banner  :P No seriously it was a major pain in the ass trying to get it hung up without them.

A set of small plastic 10 minute egg timers would not go astray. Lets just say its a simple way to manage time per beer being judged. Its also a very visual cue to judges to keep on track when judging a beer and would imho help them assign an average amount of time for beers. This will takes the onus off the stewards to keep hassling judges to hurry up.

More slop buckets as this year it was awkward to have to keep taking glasses back and forth through the venue. One per pair of stewards would be more than enough.

Not sure if its possible but if we could possibly figure out how to pre-print score sheets with the details of the categories, numbers of the beers etc I think it would help move things along on the day. I know it would be more work in advance but I believe it would help things run more smoothly for those judging, stewarding and also for those tabulating results. Feel free to shoot this one down, it was just a major pain in the ass to have to keep writing the same details down over and over again.

I think the national and local clubs should go all out to run more BJCP classes to get more judges trained. This year we had judges drop out at the last minute and this is very stressful and unfair to organisers. Its also unfair to remaining judges as they have to step in and judge even more categories. If we trained even more people to BJCP standard then hopefully it should be easier to get enough judges. Again I would like to see local clubs get involved to encourage at least one person to attend the class. If timing is an issue could we look to record the sessions to allow remote attendance where practical.

I helped out with the bottle sorting this year and it was a revelation to see the effort and organisation that goes in to it. Several things came to mind that I would like to see considered/discussed.

1. The same core group of people who organised it over the last 4 years were present this year. Local clubs should be canvassed and encouraged to provide more help. If we set the date in advance and give people enough notice it should be possible to get more people to help. Clubs have to help out the national organisation in this respect imho.

2. The choice of bottles for the competition should be standardised to a single bottle type (subject to health and safety for highly carbonated beers). Believe it or not allowing different bottle types is a headache for handling the bottles, sorting the bottles, fitting them in to the beer cases and even stacking the beer cases on top of each other. The amount of additional time that is layered on top having to deal with umpteen different bottle types amazed me. I would pick a standard bottle size widely available from home brew suppliers and oblige people to use that as part of conditions of entry. Its a common rule in other locations and other competitions and I would like to see this given due consideration. Clubs could be encouraged to pool together and buy a few cases of these bottles to limit the hassle factor that people would encounter getting these bottles.

3. Print out numbered labels for the caps of the bottles and put these on the bottle caps during sorting. It would be extra work during the bottle sorting but it would also save the knees and sanity of the cellar person on the day of the competition. If done right the job of finding a bottle now becomes a quick scan to find the case and then find the label from the cap. I lost count of the number of bottles the cellar person had to pick up to find out the right bottle to give out.

Could we find a way to involve the tasting of the 2nd entry that did not get used at some point during the day. Possibly do this as part of a meet and greet with the public.

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

molc

Quote from: Dr Jacoby on April 11, 2018, 06:58:09 PM
Quote from: molc on April 11, 2018, 05:43:23 PM

If you could add one thing to the comp, what would it be?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

A live demonstration from Ian Mott.
You're a bad bad man :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Dr Jacoby

Every little helps

benji

Can we please endeavor to have the full rules up,listed and agreed before the entry process opens.
I think a lot of the problems (people complaining and I was one of them) was due to the fact that the rules were not posted until less that 1 week before the closing date.

Sounds simple right ? To actually have the rules posted before the competition entry opens
Tapped: Brown Porter, Dortmunder, Rye IPA
Bottled: Barrel RIS, Barrel Red Flanders, Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Barrel triple, NEIPA
Planned: Pilsner, Hazy Pale Ale, something Belgian

Simon_

Quote from: benji on April 12, 2018, 09:12:36 AM
Sounds simple right ? To actually have the rules posted before the competition entry opens
Are you're referring to the Club Cup rules or some wider rules around personal entries?
It would be better if the rules for the Club Cup were solidified ahead of time.
But at the same time I don't think the Club Cup rules had any bearing on people making and submitting entries.

johnrm

In terms of timing I think we're never going to win.
I voted 2nd Qtr to see if and how it impacts on the competition.
Just because 'We always do it that way' is not the best reason to try and change.

Q1 I think is a relatively quiet time for the comp.
Q2 I would be concerned about communions, conformations etc.
Q4 Everybody tends to be holidaying etc.
Q4 No opinion other than its the end of the year

My ongoing concern is that we could do with a little more support.
There is a ton of work in pulling the comp together every year and not enough new blood coming on board.
I would hope that anyone that voted or votes for a change is ready to help out when the time comes.

mick02

Anyone thinking of doing an Imperial Stout or Barleywine for next years nationals should really be thinking about getting their brew on.

I did an Imperial Stout in January and am putting 3 bottles aside for the Nationals, 1 as a test bottle to make sure the other 2 are good enough to be entered.
NHC Committee member

mick02

The date for the AGM had not been announced when I put this poll up. In order to discuss the possibility of changing the date the Nationals are held I've shortened the poll. The results will be announced next week.

If you haven't voted in the poll I would encourage you to do so before it closes.

Thanks,

Mick
NHC Committee member

mick02

Results are in. Overwhelming majority of voters want a move to the second quarter of the year. This had been added as an agenda item for the AGM on Saturday. If anyone is interested in attending the details are published in the members area.
NHC Committee member

mick02

This was discussed at the AGM yesterday and there is a provisional date of March 23rd for the competition. Once we've confirmed that there is no date clash with sporting events we will confirm it but for now stick that date in your diary.
NHC Committee member

lordstilton

Majority want it moved to second quarter...provisional date march??

mick02

Quote from: lordstilton on May 27, 2018, 05:16:27 PM
Majority want it moved to second quarter...provisional date march??
Yep, now you've got 299 days to plan your beers.
NHC Committee member

Dodge

mick02

It was stated at the outset that the outcome of the vote wouldn't automatically mean that the dates would be changed. We discussed it at the AGM and there were reasons that the end of March was chosen partially to avoid Easter and communions etc. Now that there is a date set anyone that can't brew over Christmas has a chance to brew early in the year and get their beer in.
NHC Committee member

lordstilton