• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:38:50 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Lager fermentation temp

Started by SureLook, February 26, 2021, 06:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SureLook

Thinking about brewing a Czech lager this weekend, will be my first lager. Curious of peoples experiences with temperature fluctuations during lager fermentation.

I don't have any temp control and hoping to ferment in the shed. I've had a look at the weather this week (up north) and it seems like highs of 12 and lows of 5-6. Question is will this temp fluctuation effect the fermentation? I'm afraid of the yeast dropping out of suspension and the a stalled fermentation. Anyone have any experience with winging a lager without temp control?

Cheers, Ross
Wee County Brewers - Small County, Big Beers!

SureLook

Should have mentioned I'm using wyeast 2278

TheSumOfAllBeers

i think you will get away with it, especially if you pitch a bit higher than normal.

Pheeel

I'd recommend a heat source too. Otherwise it could stop the yeast in its track if it drops too low.
Most importantly you need a d-rest after initial cold ferment
Issues with your membership? PM me!

SureLook

Quote from: Pheeel on February 27, 2021, 10:37:41 PMI'd recommend a heat source too. Otherwise it could stop the yeast in its track if it drops too low.
Most importantly you need a d-rest after initial cold ferment

Yeah plan in using a heat pad to keep it in range. With the diacetal rest is that just a matter of raising the temp to 18-20 C after fermentation is complete and leaving it for a week or so before layering?

Blueshed

I've a Czech pilsner fermenting atm with 2278. I have it at 12c and will rise it to 16c next week. As said it's best if you have temp control, if it drops low it will stop dead and to high you will get some off flavours. Anything from 10 - 14c you will be fine. Plus make a nice big starter.