• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:38:33 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Barrel Project - Summary Thread

Started by Shane Phelan, April 26, 2013, 11:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubbles

Shanna, quick update. Just checked and I do have the chocolate malt after all - however, there's a catch. It's whole malt, and I don't have a mill. Do you?

andrewL46

Quote from: Bubbles on April 28, 2013, 03:51:09 PM
I don't have a mill. Do you?
Lads I have a mill if ya need to call over and use it!

Shanna

Yes I have a hand operated crappy mill but it grinds so I can use it. I wont need much and I can exchange it for someother stuff.

Shanna

Shanna, quick update. Just checked and I do have the chocolate malt after all - however, there's a catch. It's whole malt, and I don't have a mill. Do you?
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Shanna

Shiny

I also have a 25 kg bag that I just opened today. 11.5 kg of grain is a lot of grain and I could not see myself being able to stir this amount of grain with a plastic or even a metal spoon. So I made the barrel a new oak friend (see attached picture). In keeping with our Russian named barrel (Rasputin) "say hello to my little friend" - Alexei Nikolaevich.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Nikolaevich,_Tsarevich_of_Russia in case you don't get the reference.

Shanna
Quote from: shiny on April 28, 2013, 03:32:05 PM
Yeah sorry, got sorted in the end. Do you not need it yourself?

Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Bubbles

Barrelabdpaddy.jpg? You sure you've named him correctly? :-[

Bubbles

Quote from: andrewL46 on April 28, 2013, 07:18:51 PM
I don't have a mill. Do you?
Lads I have a mill if ya need to call over and use it!

Thanks for the offer Andrew.

Shane Phelan

Quote from: Shanna on April 28, 2013, 09:06:38 PM
11.5 kg of grain is a lot of grain and I could not see myself being able to stir this amount of grain with a plastic or even a metal spoon. So I made the barrel a new oak friend (see attached picture). In keeping with our Russian named barrel (Rasputin) "say hello to my little friend" - Alexei Nikolaevich.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Nikolaevich,_Tsarevich_of_Russia in case you don't get the reference.

Shanna

I used to stir with a plastic spoon, its almost pointless with imperial stouts which are like cement with all the grain. I upgraded recently.  :D

Brew Log

mcgrath

Hi Lads,
I put my brew on last night. Got 20L with  OG 1.095. 

Couple of things I learned from this brew::
1. Its hard to mix so much grain. The dough in took a lot longer than I expected. And it's hard work. Line up a partner if possible.  It takes up a lot of space too.
2. The Hop break was insane. Got caught out and had a horrible sticky clean up.
3. You loose a lot of liquid with so much hops.

Hope thats of help to someone...
Cheers,
Ciaran

Shane Phelan

Nice one Ciaran, thanks for the tips. Have you needed to use a blow off tube?
Brew Log

Bubbles

Thanks for the heads up Ciaran.

I like the look of that mash tun. Did you convert the rubbermaid yourself? False bottom, I presume?

Rossa

Pictures for the T machine with #barrelproject

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

mcgrath

Quote from: Bubbles on May 01, 2013, 02:13:52 PM
Thanks for the heads up Ciaran.

I like the look of that mash tun. Did you convert the rubbermaid yourself? False bottom, I presume?
I got a lend of the mash tun from another brewer who got the Rubbermaid from a company  in Ireland. The false bottom is made specificly for the Rubbermaid and can be bought in the US. I think it is easy enough to connect to the existing tap in the Rubbermaid.   The guy who owns it works for a US company and he times his homebrew orders with his workmates trips to the US.  Why do I feel a group buy coming on..... I have to say it works great.

"Nice one Ciaran, thanks for the tips. Have you needed to use a blow off tube?"

I put a blow off tube on but finished late last night and it hadn't kicked off when I got up this morning... I'll give an update up when it kicks off..

Rossa

I have the boil on now. It took a hell of a long time to lauter. In fact it is still draining but I have 35l in the boiler. It took at least 40 mins to drain the last 15 I needed. OG is a little low so I will bump it with about 150g of table sugar.

Shane Phelan

Keep taking pics and throw them into the thread for the nosy people. (I'm not one of them... ::) )
Brew Log

mcgrath

The blow off tube hasn't been necessary yet but its bubbling like a mad thing. I have 13lt of head space anyway.  Its the loudest most vigorous fermentation I've had so far. So I'd say it would clean out a bubbler if you weren't looking after it. Away til monday now, so I wont have any more updates on it. Enjoy your brewdays..