• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 12:37:53 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hopfest sunday. South Kildare's report on Harp 1962 fresh hop brewday

Started by brenmurph, September 09, 2013, 10:50:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

Reminder of our 'hopfest' this weekend. SEE pics below of our latest surge of flowers ( Saphir)  which sprung from nowhere all of a sudden

Sunday we are having a brewday again with great food and beer. Focus now is on the fresh hops. We are making the beers for the Bernard Shaw event and we are making a 100% Irish lager following the original Harp recipe, before ye laugh, the original Harp is a lovely beer using pilsner malt and caramelised ( cooked mash / decoction) and the hops are top german varieties / styles Hallertauer and Saaz. We are making this first so we can have  it fermenting at 16c  x 2 weeks and lagered for a month at 2c ready for the event.

The Hop garden is super and we have amazing Saaz, hallertauer, target, and see the pics of the Saphir below which sprung from nowhere in the past week :).
The emphasis / learning outcome is all about hops...we want to taste, see them growing, see how and when to harvest and taste, taste, taste and make a fresh hop lager all grain brew.

get along anytime to see our hops and try make it to our hopfest...ye wont be dissapointed.

brenmurph

see pics of the brewday and hop harvest

After tons of work the Bernard Shaw Harp 1962 recipe was completed, as sheduled, Keith david, trevor, and a few friends turned up to witness the fresh hop beer using The harp recipe from 1962...Hallertauer & saaz from the garden and what a success the hops were, wonderfull, wish ye were here to inhale the aroma.
34 litres of the finest 100% Irish lager brewed for the Bernard Shaw Expo and for the nostagia of reproducing such an old and Iconic beer. You may think Harp is shit but the recipe was a true German style lager which ye can taste soon. :)
The cornflake addition was to add the hint of amber to the lager. original recipe used 18% flaked maize.

Ciderhead

Wot no milk or sugar:)

Sent from my Fukushima Daiichi Geiger counter

brenmurph

Ciderhead

What function do they perform? can't believe you using own brand:)

Sent from my Fukushima Daiichi Geiger counter

brenmurph

well its a german beer so i had to go to Aldi to keep it authentic...which reminds me its only a 99% Irish beer...feck :o

The original Harp Lager had 18% flaked corn...I just used cornflakes (flaked corn ;D) worked wonders fro my coors clone which we were drinkin today, that too had hallertauer and saaz ( not from our own plants :(

John

That's gas, making beer from corn flakes. From now on I will see breakfast in a new light ;)

DEMPSEY

Flaked maize is what corn flakes are made from but if you look at a packet of corn flakes it has other ingredients added. Did not think they would be good for the beer :-\
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

brenmurph

@ dempsey, it contains
b vitamins, glucose, sucrose, barley malt, iron, and trace fats.

no artificial colours, preservatives or flavourings and the corn is either Irish or english and as the original harp recipe was a merging of 4 irish and english brewers its within original style.
as I said on the other thread, theres a handful in a 40,000gram wort, theres also a kilo of fresh corn from the garden, which ill bring to Lucan tnite.

There is MCI malt, my own hops and my own corn and it hasnt been dry hopped yet I will be using my saphir (new hallertau) in line with the original.

The idea for this brew was to make an Irish beer with irish ingredients and make it as fresh and local as possible.
I understood what Bernard Shaw aimed to do was to showcase what homebrewers can do and promote local, Irish and real beer.
Thats exactly what Ive done... someone is complaining of 1% cornflakes which are prob Irish, bought from a local Irish shop after I discovered theres no irish supplied flaked maise, hence I used fresh corn and cornflakes to give a hine or orange and yellow (b vitamins and strong corn aroma.

so work out the percentages its 99% Irish probably a hell of a lot more Irish than the original recipe :)

brenmurph

The stout on sunday is being made with the below ingredients, its a Cork stout with characteristics of beamish and murphys

Barley from Ellistown, Kildare dark roasted by me
Choc Roast  barley  from athy delivered by andrew the grower today and roasted by me
the oats are whole unprocessed oats from athy ( andrew again) cooked & caramelised by me
The pale malt is MCI stout malt from recent buy
The dark malt is MCI ale malt roasted by me
The hops are target still on the plant
The Murphy's aroma are from my hersbrucker still on the plant

I cant get any more Irish than that unless someone can get me some Irish made nottingham yeast