• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:36:33 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Low OG Stuck Fermentation?

Started by ColmOM, December 27, 2013, 06:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColmOM

After much procrastination, I brewed an Irish red last Saturday but due to my stupidity I somehow manged to mess up the Water-Grain ration in my mash-in (had way too much water in  ::) ) which has resulted in my beer having a really low OG  ??? It was 1034 when I had aimed for 1048. Nearly a week later and there doesn't seem to be much happening in the way of fermentation. With having to work over christmas and family commitments I havent got round to taking any readings yet but there's been no bubbling activity and most of the yeast appears to have sank to the bottom of the FV. I've tried moving the FV around a bit to rouse it and have been keeping it at between 18-22 degrees. Should I just re-pitch with a fresh pack of yeast or am I just goosed?

mr hoppy

Have you checked the gravity? A small beer like that might have fermented out when you weren't looking!

Kieran the Human

Hey Colm, Kieran here - what yeast did you use? When I used the HBC stout kit it had S-04 and that stuff finishes really fast.
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

ColmOM

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. Haven't taken another readin yet, surprised to hear it could ferment that fast. Think it was that yeast Kieran, so I'll take a reading later on. There was no real foam or anything at any stage so I kinda assumed there no activity. (unless that yeast had a house party when i was away for christmas  :P)