• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 04, 2024, 05:32:40 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Special announcement: Double brewday this saturday; be there or b square!

Started by brenmurph, April 16, 2014, 11:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brenmurph

Another mega brewday not to be missed if u want to get motivated on brewing especially if progressing from Kit. We ( kellie & myself) are delighted to invite one prominent member of the club that is making that leap on saturday.

Dont be shy ...as Ciderhead says " theres no better place to learn brewing as bren' n kellies"

Ok this saturday ( not to be confused with our mega cask festival weekend 17th may) we will be making the CASK Shilling for the big weekender coming up. 35 litres will be pulled from our hand pump serving a delicacy of fresh tasty scottish Shilling that won gold at the nationals and was in the showdown...now its getting a new home in our cask setup, a great beer for the cask I hope ye agree.

2nd brew going on is for the inauguration of a member who is 'popping his cherry' as he is an all-grain virgin...But not after  saturday.
her at south kildare brewers we see this as mission acomplished when we see someone who has visited us a couple times now motivated and ready to take the next leap.

So two brews in one day on our fantastic setup where we have a mini system as well as two large systems to play with. Now featuring two boilers and two mashtuns we can get through a brewday much quicker.

So come along..we already have a few people on our guestlist and more welcome with overnight available and welcomed

regards bren & kellie

GrahamR

Lifes Too Short To Not Make Beer

Fermenter 1 - Turquoise Lunar Showing

Fermenter 2 - Vitalift Cider

brenmurph

Once again for all interested in hitting South Kildare brewers and to answer GrahamR

Our fab base is just off the M7 junction 13 right by Kildare village. From there its a 10 minute walk or 45 seconds in a car.

The green bus from westmorland street outside O Briens sandwich bat at 15 minutes to the hour every hour and returns every hour as well. Its FIVE EURO to Kildare from City centre.
The bus has one stop on the way and thats at the red cow so you can also pick up the bus at red cow luas and then expressway to South Kildare brewclub!

There is a train station and if someone travels by train we can pick u up. Bus is much simpler and cheaper with free wifi onboard.
By car we are just off the motorway a few yards.
There is plenty of parking so if u have a campervan no prob either.

Overnight is possible if u fancy a sofa or a tent camping, we dont close on brewdays we chill for the evening and night. If weather good we have a lovely garden with bbq and campfire if weather no so good we have indoor in our polytunnel garden. Fully featured facility with sauna, steamroom, toilets and showers seperate to our hose for guests convenience and privacy. For campers there is hook up ESB water taps and so on.
3 pubs in kildare town selling craft if u wanted to wander up ( O haras red, O haras special, carrig lager, tom creans, metalman pale, trouble special) and a fridge full of craft bottles in Boyles, all this said we normally have enough great beer to keep us going at the base :)

GrahamR

Lovely stuff, is there a name outside to look for or anything. What time you kicking off at? No more questions after that I promise

Will_D

Hey Mighty Masher Murph,

As one who is fairly good at naviagtion, and has a stanav may I suggest something like this:
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

brenmurph

cool... got there before ya, if u are headin down the M7 just after junction 12 theres a big Blud 70 x 40 foot sign...."next exit masher Murphy's pad"

brenmurph

Just a Bump on this brewday... shud be a great weekend.. Blueshed is on the food case already with his pork shoulder in home made artisan BBQ sauce. judging by the weather lately could be a bbq evening!!
I have the beer case sorted and Dunkel (KEVIN) and co will be stayin over to enjoy a few pints ( or gallons).  GrahamR all excited to get all-graining, looking to meeting him here for his first visit.

All welcome for an hour or the weekend.

Tomorrows brew is an altbier with blueshed ( hip hip..his first AG brew :) :) ) and the scottish shilling going into the conical fermenter and onwards to our Cask for the may 17th weekender ladies special brew weekend (gents welcome of course) ladies and gents together even better ;)

dont be shy ...any queries just pm me

Reminder, Kildare just off the motorway, great public transport and by car its 20 mins from newlands cross. bus is Green bus from westmorland street or red cow luas for 5 euros.

brenmurph

Last bump.. great brewday started as above. First mash in progress......2nd mash midday, chill time 4pm
Drop in and say hello and join the party :) ;)

GrahamR

Just want to say a quick thanks to Bren and Kellie for having me over yesterday. Was great to see an All Grain brew from start to finish, fair play John.

Great setup the lads have and I would advise anyone to make the trip that can especially to taste the shilling from cask, it will be spectacular me thinks. Also try some imperial if its going, what a brew.

Good Luck with the 17th, would have liked to make it  but my other love is calling me. Mon the Gunners

brenmurph

Great day night and the first time we done 2 all grains back to back. 1o am till 6pm and then a great meal from kellie and lunch from Blueshed.

Ok thanks to Blueshed ( john) his first all-grain, we are proud at South Kildare Brewers to be able to introduce John to all-grain. he went home with a fermenter of Altbier and a big smile ;) and a new appreciation for perfection in sanitation and I'm sure a ton of great all-grain ideas.

Grahme R thanks a million, I know u enjoyed, welcome over any time.

Well Mr and Mrs dunkel.... anothe great day night and morning ??? 8) ;D plenty beer supped and lovely beer and food supplied. Once again if ye wanna know how gud our camping is just touch base with Dunkel or mrs dunkel.
Another john dropped in and didnt go home till this morning. John G enjoyed our great beers and had an overnight on the sofa ( albeit it 4.30 am when we finished.

Right and all the other popper inners...
roll on the next one................on that subject.....yesterday we brewed the Scottish shilling for the cask weekend 17th may as well as Bluesheds Altbier.....
Roll on 17th may oh and the 18th of course...we dont sent our guests home :)

Blueshed

Another big thanks to Bren n Kellie for all there help and time, plus grains n hops n yeast. cant say anymore about the yeast as it's a trade secret  ;)

I learnt so much by doing it myself and all the little problems i ran into was a good thing imo. it showed me not to panic, have a plan B, keep plenty of spare buckets and most of all keep it simple.

Was good to meet Mr n Mrs Dunkel and GrahamR, dont fogot anout the meet next Saturday.

Cant wait for my next AG brew.

Kellie

Twas a great day in Kildare...........great beer, great food..........and wonderful company  :)

And even a Easter Egg Hunt this morning thanks to Helen...........great fun and yummy chocolate  :P :)

CARA

Sounds like it was a great day, looking forward to coming up with herself in May!!
Upa Sesh

GrahamR

Another note from going to meets, thanks to tasting kevs hefe, I ordered myself 1.5kg of wheat extract and some saaz hops yesterday evening.

Dunkel

@ GrahamR  Just checked the recipe (23 litres) and it was simply 3kg wheat dried malt extract and 300g dextrose. 30g Saaz at 60 mins, and Safale Fermentis WB 06 yeast. OG 1057, FG 1011, alcohol around 6%. Primed with 8g/l dextrose.

@ Mashtun and Kellie  What a day  ;D Apart from the double brew, and the 20 or so different beers on tap, Bluesheds pulled pork and Kellies turkey extravaganza, one of the highlights was the first pints literally pulled by Mrs. Dunkel with the new beer engine (handpump)  :D

Many thanks for your hospitality and company. And we'll be back!