• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 23, 2024, 06:14:11 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

A weiss... red-ish...

Started by giacomo, September 22, 2014, 03:04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giacomo

Hey guys

Saturday I brewed for the first time with the new equipment (formerly shiny's equipment) and to go on the safe side, I used a Brupaks mashkit.
Supposed to be a Bavarian Weiss ( http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brupaks-mashkit-bavarian-weissbier-3044-p.asp ), which I would have expected to be yellow-ish, once ended the mash turned out to be... red. I mean red, dark red.

I don't have a list of the grains contained in the kit (will ask the producer), but the website says "Color: pale straw"...

I mashed-in at around 66°C and the temperature never raised above that (wend slowly down to 64°C) during the 90'.
Sparge-wise, 30-ish minutes using ~70°C water, so I don't see how I could have caramelized some of the sugars ending up with such a darker color...

Any clue what could have caused a different color from the expected, if not the original malts?

irish_goat

Only thing I could think is maybe you were given an Irish Red mashkit by accident? Were there any dark grains in the grist?

oblivious

Quote from: giacomorizzo on September 22, 2014, 03:04:29 PM
I don't have a list of the grains contained in the kit (will ask the producer), but the website says "Color: pale straw"...

Did you notice any dark grains in the grist?

giacomo

A very small amount... but the yeast was indeed the Weiss one... and it didn't really smell that roasty in the mash tun... you think to a mixed package!?
... an irish red fermented with weiss yeasts!?
meh...

nigel_c

A weiss... red-ish...

Sounds delicious  :)

delzep

oblivious

Quote from: giacomorizzo on September 22, 2014, 05:39:31 PM
A very small amount... but the yeast was indeed the Weiss one... and it didn't really smell that roasty in the mash tun... you think to a mixed package!?
meh...

It sounds good, you could have a new style: Irish red wheat ale :)

giacomo

Quote from: oblivious on September 22, 2014, 08:38:48 PM
Quote from: giacomorizzo on September 22, 2014, 05:39:31 PM
meh...

It sounds good, you could have a new style: Irish red wheat ale :)
Let's see what comes out :)

giacomo

Quick update here: as fermentation progresses and slows down, the beer is getting sensibly paler (yellow-ish).
It might indeed be a weiss in the end... :)

giacomo

So, after a week, although the beer in the fermenter still looks red-ish, here's how it looks like in a glass (I was taking the mid-fermentation gravity reading)

Pretty impressed by how it's coming along... gravity is down to 1.010 (attenuated 75%), hazy as a weiss should be, lots of cloves in the nose, banana in the taste... possibly a bit "light", "watery", but if I manage not to screw it up when bottling time comes, this should be a pretty lovely brew :)

nigel_c

That looks about right. I was half expecting it to be like an irish red. I would imagine a red Weiss would be very tasty.

giacomo

Might be something to try, eventually :)

Qs

Wouldn't worry about the wateryness. Hefe level carbonation should make up for that.