• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:18 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[Review] Sadlers Reserve - House Red

Started by Shane Phelan, March 08, 2014, 04:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane Phelan

HomeBrewWest recently launched a new line of wine kits called "Sadlers Reserve" and they kindly sent me their Sadlers Reserve "House Red" wine kit to try out. They also threw in a fermenting vessel which came in very handy after I donated my only other spare one to TOG. I had to carve out a hole in the lid for the air lock which was no problem for the rotary tool which sliced though it with a router bit.

The wine kit contains the following items in the box:
8.5kg of red grape juice concentrate in double lined foil bladder
A: Wine Yeast including nutrient
B: Wine stabiliser (Combination of potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite)
C: Kieselsol – Clearing agent causing yeast/solids to drop out of solution
D: Chitsoan – Clearing agent and also aids in prevention of spoilage

My initial impressions of the kit were very positive with a very well designed set of equipment all the way from the box to the usefully laid out set of instructions. This contrasts sharply to some wine kits that look like something that was found on the side of the road.

The instructions are relatively straightforward in terms of making the batch.

Clean equipment, sanitise equipment and tools by swirling the sanatiser around the inside of the bucket for a few minutes. I used starsan in this case so I didn't have to worry about rinsing but at the same time I had to concentrate to avoid "fearing the foam". The concentrate was understandably syrupy so I rinsed out the inside of the bladder a couple of times to get every bit of the juice out of there. I topped up to the 24L mark with tap water and then stir for five minutes which is tough going for someone with little office arms, I was tempted to get the oxygen tank!  ;D

The yeast is already combined with the nutrient and that can be seen in the form of semi transparent crystals that are mixed in though the yeast. I found the OG gravity to be approximately 1.095 which is pretty much bang on to the 22 Brix that they specify for 24L on the side of the box. I also noted that, unlike other wine kits I have made, the must was still very syrupy after topping up to 24L. I found other kits to be noticeably thin at this stage but that didn't seem to be the case here which was very encouraging. 

I will continue to update this guide as things progress. Thanks again to HomeBrewWest and LordEoin.
Brew Log

LordEoin

You won't be disappointed by the resulting wine, and you'll be surprised with how fast it is to be ready for the bottle :)

Shane Phelan

Oh really?  It doesn't need the full 3 weeks?
Brew Log

LordEoin

I had it bottled by day 19 exactly as the instructions said, but it was sat in primary for a few days with activity completely finished.
Normally the timeframe quoted on kits is a little 'optimistic'
And I'm used to waiting on wines for months  ;D
Here's my timeline on this kit http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,5635.0.html

Shane Phelan

Great stuff! I'm just going to copy your timeline in that case, unless it hasn't ceased fermentation or something as I approach your times scales.

I'm not bottling though, its all going into two 10L vinotainers, will be interesting to see how they age.
Brew Log

LordEoin

I did my timeline as close to the instructions as possible.
The instructions are great! Wine kit instructions seem to be a lot better than beer kit instructions  ;D

Shane Phelan

Yeah I was very impressed with the instructions, that reason alone is a reason to recommend a kit to a newcomer. Its bubbling away in the living room now but it seems slow enough, could be a bit on the cold side although I don't have any spare temperature control capacity. I saw what you did with the heat belt and temperature controller, I might add that configuration to my arsenal so that I can have several brews on at different temperatures. 
Brew Log

LordEoin

It works a treat! stick the whole lot in a fridge hooked up to the cold socket and you're sorted for all your temp control needs ;)

Shane Phelan

Transferred to secondary tonight, I had planned to stabilise but I think it is too early yet. Gravity is down to 0.998 and I think it still tastes a bit sweet so I'm going to leave it anther week before adding the stabiliser. Should be down to 0.995 by then which I think will be much better as I generally prefer all my drinks to be on the drier side.

Still has a very prominant body and texture after the fermentation. Excited! :)

Brew Log

Tom

This kit looks good. Does it keep well (30 bottles is a lot for a beer drinker), and does it give you a crippling headache with the stabilisers?

LordEoin

It should keep well one the bottles are properly sanitized, and I think the stabilizer drops out with the finings, but I'm not sure about that.

Tom

Have you tried the finished product? What would it be similar to, grape wise? The missus is fussy as hell for a borderline alco!

LordEoin

Mine was the metlot/shiraz and that's how it tastes  :)

Tom

Ah, I see now, house red is one of the options.

Sorry to go a little off topic, but can you recommend a 6 bottle kit/manufacturer, then I'll leave you alone.

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/6-bottle-wine-kits-223-c.asp

Shane Phelan

Tom don't worry about going off topic, I remember when I was looking for a wine kit years ago it was very difficult to find information about them so I think its great to chat about this stuff!

I don't see it in the list but I made the Beaverdale Merlot 6 bottle kit. I added oak chips along with the other ingredients. I found it a little thin but the last two bottles tasted very nice as they had been in the bottle for 2 or 3 months. I might use less water the next time to increase the body a little bit.
Brew Log