• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:19:00 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

[REVIEW] GetErBrewed Creamy stout Extract Kit

Started by molc, January 19, 2015, 11:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

molc

Hoping to get cracking on this next weekend, but thought I'd share my initial impressions.

The ingredients smell quite fresh and nicely, simply packaged in a claim white box with creamy stout scribbled in best marker :) Unlike some other kits, the packaging is bare-bones and simple, putting the money to the important things; the ingredients. There's a single hop addition, two cans of muntons extract, steeping grains, a steeping bag, G12 yeast and a whirfloc tablet. Overall, exactly what I want if getting a kit.

The instructions are quite clear. It's a full boil ,which is great, though there are two areas that I question:
1. They recommend you always make a yeast starter, though I'd read elsewhere that you shouldn't make a starter for dry yeast and instead pitch the correct amount. Regardless, there's 11g of yeast for a ~1.060 beer, so I can't see the need for a start when putting it into mr. malty. Maybe I'm missing something here.
2. For the steeping instructions, there is no volume of water given for the steep. I usually use a ratio of 3L/1Kg, but it would be nice to have this in the instructions as a guideline.

I'll put up some pics and more info when I start the brew, hopefully this weekend.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Qs

I've heard that G12 is Notty in a different package. If thats right just rehydrate, even that might not be necessary if its a low OG.

LordEoin

yeah, i got the same impression after a bit of googling

molc

January 24, 2015, 12:08:32 PM #3 Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:42:45 PM by molc
So, today is the day. Here is a pic of "the package"

Steeped the grains in about 6L of water to cover the elements for 30 mins:

The extract was then added. Normally I'd boil first and then add this, so I had to do a lot of stirring to dissolve. Also, I was following the instructions to the letter so forgot to heat the cans in hot water first, which was a bit of a mess and hassle.

Then, onto the boil. It's a single hop addition, then lactose and whirlfloc at 10 mins:

Then pop in the wort chiller, rehydrate the yeast and ferment at 20C.

Quite easy and straight forward. Back in 3 weeks with bottling. :)

@geterbrewed

Thanks for the review, how did you find having the hops in a tea bag?
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

molc

Oops, is that why they were in little baggies? :) I took them out and threw them into the boil as I usually do, as I thought it was just another part of the packaging! My bad :/

As for how I would find that generally - I guess it just never worries me tbh. I use a siphon to extract and the hop sludge just stays at the bottom with the cold break after a whirlpool.

johnrm

You should get marginally better utilisation having done this.

sixstingsgareth

I'm impressed with the quality I got too. Nice to see the hops are vacuum packed now! It would also be nice to know what hops /steeping grains they actually include. Do they tell you now by any chance?

molc

Don't think so. Trade secret ;)

I'm kegging in two weeks, after a keg comes free. Transferred off the grub after 1 week, so it's getting a 4 week secondary in a carboy, so should only make it better :)