• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 05:32:31 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

does anyone know guiness draught recipe?

Started by Vadja, March 22, 2014, 10:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DEMPSEY

Guinness have a way of brewing that's a little different in that they use a pale malt with the enzyme's have being enhanced. MCI can supply this malt. It allows them to use unmalted barley and such in the mash. They also make a secret mix of extract which is then added to the beer. Very industrial it is. ;)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Tom

Come on Dempsey, don't be mean. EVERYONE knows the secret is 80/10/10. + the 'special' 3%. Enigmatic, eh?

Tell you what, we'll tell you the recipe to a better stout.

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Tom on March 22, 2014, 11:13:37 PM
Come on Dempsey, don't be mean. EVERYONE knows the secret is 80/10/10. + the 'special' 3%. Enigmatic, eh?

Tell you what, we'll tell you the recipe to a better stout.
:)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Tom

Any stout served above freezing. Are you looking to dispense under a nitrogen mix or in a regular bottle? Sam Smith oatmeal stout is supposed to be good. I think there are some award winning stout recipes in the recipe section too.

Vadja

Tom

I don't think a direct Guinness clone would do well from the bottle. It's a bit vacuous. But for the record it's
80% pale malt (or stout malt)
10% flaked barley
10% roast barley.
Hops are something like Northdown I think. If you want it 'proper' you can acidify the mash by letting it sit for a couple of hours at around 35 - 40 degrees C.
Ferment with something with a high attenuation.
If you're doing extract use 90/10 and steep the roast.

But someone will have posted a stout recipe in the tried and tested section, and here's the Sam Smith:
http://www.brew365.com/beer_ss_oat.php

Hope this helps.

Andy Q

I always thought it was 7:2:1, best I ever made for draught, was 3kg pale, 1kg flaked, .5 roast & .5 rauch, I think the real success though, came from letting a can sour for a week and throwing it in the boil, although I believe acid malt has the same effect!
Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan