• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 06:41:15 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Mangrove Jacks M54 and WLP830

Started by Leann ull, August 19, 2016, 02:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Q

Drinking an m54 pale ale now, nice clean beer, but not a pale ale, reminds me of a hoppy kolsh I made once, but more neutral, it's definetly not a lager, and not quite a pilsner, but definitely a go to yeast if you were making a beer for pals who drink Macro, pleasant is the best word I can think to describe it!
Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan

Jonnycheech

I made an ale/lager yesterday with M54. I thought I had a packet of S05 but all I had to hand was M54. So in she went to a pale ale malt bill and a load of wet cascade hops. First time using the M54 and wet hops so I'm very interested to see how this turns out, it'll certainly be different to my usual pale ales.

I have to say I'm not a fan of MJ yeasts. They always start slow or stall on me for some reason.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Jonnycheech

Quote from: CH on August 28, 2016, 03:49:24 PM
It's force carbed with a carbonation cap but 10 days, includes 3 days gelatin treatment
I could brew this beer in 5 days, it's still a little green and unbalanced and tastes like some commercial blonde Irish ales I've had and in another 4 weeks conditioning in a keg it will be so much better.

Impressive turn around time, nice work!
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Andy Q

Let us know how the beer turns out, I wont use it again for a pale, if it wasn't for the dry hop, I don't think anything would have come though, that said I fermented in the heat wave, so guessing 20's all the way, so probably shouldn't damn the yeast as it was used above recommended conditions.
Stout/Apa fiend from Lucan

Leann ull

I just gave it away for a 40th tonight served through a chiller and was just leaving as guests arrived, they were hacking into it
"Are you sure it's Homebrew?"

Will_D

Quote from: CH on September 24, 2016, 07:39:30 PM
I just gave it away for a 40th tonight served through a chiller and was just leaving as guests arrived, they were hacking into it

I lurve the confidence in your product! Trying to leg-it just before the punters arrive or am I missing something? ?

Only joking "BigFellaWhoWalksonWater"
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Jonnycheech

Just had a check on the lads to see how they're doing around 40 hours post pitching. First thing I noticed when I opened the ferm fridge was a considerable bang of sulphur, anyone else get this from M54?

There is a decent krausen, about an inch high, and there is good activity in the vessel, with the bubbler chugging away happily. I have the temp set at 19C.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Leann ull

Range is 18-20 so I always start low at 18 and after 4-5 days go higher say 19.5 to finish off. Didn't notice sulphur tbh.

darren996

I have used this 4 times now and never got a smell of sulphur