• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:47 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Vodka

Started by La brewski, June 06, 2019, 01:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La brewski

Was thinking of trying to do a batch of vodka any one any info to help I would be thinking  of making 5 to 20 liters of 30abv hopefully

Simon_

Seriously though it's illegal in Ireland without the correct licenses and doesn't get discussed here. There are other forums that discuss distillation

Tom

La brewski

Oh my mother f###ing god how what why????what is up with this country legal to make beer not legal to make vodka but u can make wine mead and seriously  strong beer man this is messed up right apologies I really did not know sorry that is not going to happen

TheSumOfAllBeers

You dont get to freely make your beer (or wine, cider, mead etc.). You have an `excise exemption` on domestically produced alcohol.

As the amount of beer that homebrewers can make is tiny, and its not possible to make in any significant quantity for excise fraud purposes, the government let you make it rather than pointlessly enforce a ban.

Distillation on the other hand commands a hefty amount of tax, and it is possible to make a profitable amount of product on a 100L kit, so excise fraud is a real problem (for the revenue). Thats their justification for splitting the line along fermentation only/distillation. Makes prosecutions easier too, if you have no/little legitimate reason to own a still.