• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 25, 2024, 04:05:17 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The mystery of Curim

Started by delzep, October 30, 2014, 02:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

Has anyone ever seen someone buying this stuff? It's on sale in many pubs and in dunnes, tesco etc. yet I've never seen anyone buy it. Been around for years too.

Bubbles

Nope!

I bought a bottle years ago when i was getting into craft beer, thought it was boring, never bought it again.

Though I've always been confused about why it's branded differently to the rest of the O'Haras's beers.. anyone know?

paddyp

I always think cúramach when i see it, maybe that puts people off

irish_goat

Curim was the first beer O'Hara's brewed, apparently. Back when they started up the beers all had individual names e.g. Goods Store IPA, Moling's Traditional Red, Druid's Brew and Curim Celtic Wheat. They obviously had a sit down at some point and decided it would suit the brand better if the beers all became "O'Hara's" e.g. O'Hara's Stout, O'Hara's IPA. I'd assume that Curim wasn't changed as it wouldn't particular suit to call it "O'Hara's Irish Wheat Beer", and just calling it a wheat beer would be slightly misleading. Leann Follain still has it's own special name as well too.

It's the only beer they make that I don't like and I wonder how it's survived given the poor sales we had in the B&C(compared to the other beers). I vaguely remember asking one of their office staff about it and was told it has a bit of a cult following and sells well abroad as well in some restaurants. Given that it's their first beer there might be a nostalgic element to it's production but at the same time, I've no doubt they'd pull it if it wasn't making them money.

imark

Only place I had it was in Yamamori when they had no Hitachino and our waiter recommended it. It was a very poor substitute. Never had it since. I'm fairly choosey about my wheat beer and without the phenolics it wont cut it for me.

giacomo

Got it a couple of times when I first moved to Ireland, as I didn't know where the closest decent off-license was and Curim was available at the local shop. Don't remember bad or good about it, so it must not have impressed me much...

mr hoppy

Quote from: delzep on October 30, 2014, 02:44:24 PM
Has anyone ever seen someone buying this stuff? It's on sale in many pubs and in dunnes, tesco etc. yet I've never seen anyone buy it. Been around for years too.

I've bought it, in 2004, I think? I think I found it fairly middle of the road even then.

And once maybe 18 months ago in a restaurant that didn't have any other non heino/bud/guinness beer options. I remember liking it more than I expected, but not that much.

Blueshed

Somebody in the County Bar Lucan must like it, i got 20 empty btls of it Thursday night.

delzep

Quote from: Blueshed on November 01, 2014, 09:06:32 AM
Somebody in the County Bar Lucan must like it, i got 20 empty btls of it Thursday night.

Check the dates on the label... Could be vintage bottles  :o

DEMPSEY

The yeast used for making it is Notty as is all their beers. Horses mouth knowledge ;)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: DEMPSEY on November 01, 2014, 03:53:45 PM
The yeast used for making it is Notty as is all their beers. Horses mouth knowledge ;)

That explains why it is so mediocre. Notty is great yeast, but not for wheat beers where you really want all those lovely yeast flavours.

I like my wheat beer, GF loves it, so I like to samples a lot of different ones so that i can recommend them to herself when we are stuck.

Curim did not tick any boxes.

I find that wheat beers are stunningly simple to make, so I have little tolerance for mediocre ones.