• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:57:48 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Crank and Stein Group buy 2

Started by RichC, November 23, 2012, 07:28:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichC

Regretting not going for this so here goes with a new list. Imark, I assume you're interested? Add yourself in

1. Lars(RichardC)

imark

Bruceleesgran

I could be persuaded. Whats the advantages of these rather than just buying pre crushed grain? I know its good if you want the grain freshly crushed but I am unsure that the hassle of building a hopper and cushing the grain would give a notable difference to the taste of the beer produced.

Rats

QuoteI could be persuaded.
You can tell your friends that you did everything yourself.From start to finish.You can explain to them how the "right gap" between the rollers are "important" for the flavor they are enjoying ;D
I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol

RichC

With the bulk buys I end up storing grain for quite a while. I want it to be as fresh as possible and I believe it stores better uncrushed. A lot of the guys over on HBT wouldn't dream of using crushed grain a few months old. I had a sealed bag of crushed grain from a homebrew shop when I got delivery of my bulk buy bag before and the difference was remarkable, the bulk buy stuff having a much stronger more pleasant aroma and deeper colour. As Tube said it'll make better beer like cooking with fresh ingredients!

Dodge

Fermentation is the key! Having just crushed your grain sounds great but if you process is not up to scratch and your fermentation is not spot on, it all comes through in the beer. ( no matter whether your grain was crushed that day or not!)

Bruceleesgran

QuoteI could be persuaded. Whats the advantages of these rather than just buying pre crushed grain? I know its good if you want the grain freshly crushed but I am unsure that the hassle of building a hopper and cushing the grain would give a notable difference to the taste of the beer produced.
Dark grains in particular keep their freshness for a lot longer if they haven't been crushed.

The short answer is you'll make better beer.

last question surely grain crushed professionally by a better mill (pre crushed) would out weigh the benefits of fresh crushed in a two roller grain mill.  I'm giving this one serious consideration as I can see the benefits for storing uncrushed grain longer. Although I have stored crushed grain for ages with no problems.

imark

Lars do you fancy going for a three roller to get our order in? There doesn't seem to be too much interest in the second buy.

andrewL46

1. Lars(RichardC)
2. imark
3. andrewl46

I'll put my name down for one if your gonna get the 2 roller version.
Out of the guys that have bought them on the last group buy, has the crush been ok with the fixed rollers?
Also can ya hook a drill up to them??

andrewL46

Just read about the 2a on their website and it answered my questions!
Count me in!

RichC

Quote1. Lars(RichardC) -2S
2. imark
3. andrewl46
Guys, I put my preference in for type 2S. We've enough now to avail of group buy price advantage. How long should we wait before closing this out?. I'm happy to order at any time.

Paul

November 29, 2012, 12:40:29 AM #11 Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 12:42:12 AM by Paul
2. imark
3. andrewl46
Guys, I put my preference in for type 2S. We've enough now to avail of group buy price advantage. How long should we wait before closing this out?. I'm happy to order at any time.

Just to clarify on the group buy prices, Don from Crankandstein was offering the discounted mill prices based on orders >$400.  You would still get the discounted shipping prices with 3 mills. 

I guess you could tell him your order is related to the original group order and he might honour the lower prices based on that.

RichC

2. imark
3. andrewl46

Just to clarify on the group buy prices, Don from Crankandstein was offering the discounted mill prices based on orders >$400.  You would still get the discounted shipping prices with 3 mills. 

I guess you could tell him your order is related to the original group order and he might honour the lower prices based on that.
Thanks Paul, have you got an email for him or was it by telephone? I can contact him and explain and he might allow us to avail of the group price

RichC

Quotedr_crankandstein@bellsouth.net
Emailed Don on thursday night, will update here when he gets back to me