• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:32:47 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

California V - some serious sulphur smell

Started by magnethead, March 23, 2014, 05:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnethead

Hiya,
I'm just using California V for the first time, and the fermentation has serious sulphur smell coming off it....Anyone experience with this?
I've never brewed a lager before, but I'm feeling like I just did  :P

Thanks

magnethead

Used google and apparantly, they are mixing larger yeast into this one??
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/wlp-051-california-v-ale-13247/

Don't feel like I have to throw it out anymore  ;D I'll see how it turns out now.......I was thinking infection big time there yesterday!! Bloody nerves

lampie

I had that a few times and it can happen during fermentation and the few times that i had it it was gone the next day.. Its just a natural part of fermentation :)
If you can make soup then you will also be able to make a decent beer!

magnethead

It might be a natural part of a larger fermentation, but when you're fermenting an ale and you walk into a room full of sulphur, that normally means an infection of some kind  >:(

Hingo

I made a wheat beer and had the same issue, I bottled them and gave them a few weeks, when I poured the first bottle was still a slight sulphur smell but tasted grand, for the smell I left them in the fridge for a day or two to cold condition and it sorted them out. If it does have a bad taste though, fridge won't really fix that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magnethead

If this does end up effecting the taste, there is a solution for suplhur....'Co2 Scrubbing' will get rid of it.....you have to up end a Keg and push Co2 through it to scrub the off-flavour....Doesn't work for all off-flavours but it does for Sulphur

That will be the first port of call if the batch is screwed

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

magnethead

THis was a Fat Tire clone with only bittering Hops, so I'm lucky this time if it comes to co2 scrubbing  ;D