• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 04:13:14 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

NPT or BSP Standard?

Started by acaoshes, August 29, 2013, 10:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acaoshes

Hello,
I plan to increase my pipe fittings from 3/8" to 1/2" on my keg HLT/Boiler and insulated picnic mash tun.
Should I use this opportunity to pick NPT or BSP standards in terms of availability of NPT kit at decent prices from eBay (China) vs BSP (I presume) fittings from the UK (with an established supplier base).
Thanks.
Sean

Will_D

A lot of the Chinese stuff is BSP.

Most of the world use BSP ( even the Germans ) for screwed pipe fittings

Its really only the US HB stores that always use NPT.

I'd stick with BSP if I were you

BTW 1/2" BSP and 1/2" NPT are almost compatible - they are the same diameter and just out by 1 TPI!

For non-critical (i.e. High Pressure use) they will just about interconnect
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

christhebrewer

All my stuff is BSP. I have regretted not being able to use some US gear but on the whole I'm happy with BSP. The Chinese seem to be mostly BSP too.

Hop Bomb

What limitations have you run in to using bsp?
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Will_D

Errr:

None!

BSP is standard in .ie, .uk and .europe !!

Tis only the Yanks that decided they knew better!

Anything you can buy in .usa should be available in europe, with the exception of very expensive, one off kit that could be sorted by a few thread converters!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

acaoshes

Thanks for all of the replies.
I've an eye on eventually moving towards an Electric Brewery setup so I'll go with NPT now and eventually get there in bits and pieces.
If there was a self help group for gadgets I'd sign myself up.
Sean

Shanna

September 09, 2013, 11:46:10 PM #6 Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 08:13:32 PM by Shanna
Generally speaking stuff sourced here tends to be more expensive especially with stainless steel parts. Not talking about stuff ordered from China by the way.

Shanna
Quote from: Will_D on September 09, 2013, 10:15:58 PM
Errr:

None!

BSP is standard in .ie, .uk and .europe !!

Tis only the Yanks that decided they knew better!

Anything you can buy in .usa should be available in europe, with the exception of very expensive, one off kit that could be sorted by a few thread converters!
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

Hop Bomb

Ive got some dip tubes & quick disconnects coming from the US which are npt. Will they thread on to my bsp fittings? I know Will said there is only 1 tpi difference. So some ptfe tape & im all good? Thanks
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Dr Horrible

Unfortunately, although the tpi for 1/2" are very close, you won't be able to get a BSP into an NPT thread for more than one turn.  It's not just the threads that are different, the shape of the ridges and grooves are also different and they won't fit into each other.  As far as I remember it's not quite enough to stop leaking, even with PTFE tape.  You should be able to get BSP to NPT adaptors though, but not very easily, your best bet might be to get an NPT connection to a camlok or triclamp connection along with your order and work away in BSP from there on.

acaoshes

It's time to resurrect my old BSP vs NPT post as my new year's resolution is to turn all of my many parts into something useful.

I've all of my shiny NPT SS parts bought and based around 1/2" pipe size. All I need are compatible washers. The electric brewery recommends these two types.

1-1/8"ID   1-5/8"OD   0.062"thick
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U1MTZ2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006U1MTZ2&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20

7/8"ID   1-3/8"OD   0.062"thick
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U1MSTE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006U1MSTE&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20

I'm finding it very hard to source these from retailers that will post to Ireland. Has anyone bought these before?
Ultimately I can use Shipitto but I'd like to get an easier answer.

Or can I use a BSP equivalent washer that will do the job? Any ideas? I've searched but found no easy answers.

Thanks.

St. Fursey

I think I got some through Aliexpress.com
I would imagine NPT/BSP doesn't matter for washers ad you don't have to worry about thread count, pitch etc

Ozbrewer

I have mainly npt fittings with some bsp. They connect together no problems. 1/2" fittings are compatible.

Regarding the washers - npt vs bsp is not relevant. Internal diameter to fit over the 1/2" fitting plus the thickness of your o-rings. Most likely here people will talk about I.D in mm.

Try Abbey Seals in Bluebell for washers and o-rings. Been there a few times, and they were really helpful. My second time there I was after only a few o-rings and they gave them to me for free. They have a minimum order of 10 euro.

Shanna

Quote from: acaoshes on December 22, 2014, 09:24:02 PM
It's time to resurrect my old BSP vs NPT post as my new year's resolution is to turn all of my many parts into something useful.

I've all of my shiny NPT SS parts bought and based around 1/2" pipe size. All I need are compatible washers. The electric brewery recommends these two types.

1-1/8"ID   1-5/8"OD   0.062"thick
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U1MTZ2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006U1MTZ2&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20

7/8"ID   1-3/8"OD   0.062"thick
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006U1MSTE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B006U1MSTE&linkCode=as2&tag=theelectricbrewery-20

I'm finding it very hard to source these from retailers that will post to Ireland. Has anyone bought these before?
Ultimately I can use Shipitto but I'd like to get an easier answer.

Or can I use a BSP equivalent washer that will do the job? Any ideas? I've searched but found no easy answers.

Thanks.

Hi Sean give these guys a try.

http://ie.rs-online.com/web/

Shanna
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member

acaoshes

Thanks Shanna, Ozbrewer, St Fursey. I'll have a look round. I appreciate your ideas.
Sean