• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:50:41 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

First go

Started by tripmeup, January 21, 2019, 02:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tripmeup

hello all..

Noob here with a Coopers Kit received as a Christmas pressie...

Have done my first batch per the instructions (I hope) with the Coopers Lager kit
Made mix last sat (Jan 12th) that had an OG of 1031...
Left working away in a room at around 22 degrees....
Measured SG on Sat just gone and the hydrometer is near enough sinking to the bottom and am seeing a reading of around 9.95 or 10.00...
does that sound ok or is something up?

Aslo, how do you know if it is too gassy as I heard on the Coopers video??

Pheeel

It should be coming out about 1010. That sounds very low. I'd predict there's an infection somewhere to cause it to go so low but then 22c is quite high. What does it taste like? Have you kept opening the lid to take a look?
Issues with your membership? PM me!

tripmeup

Hi and thanks

No I certainly haven't been opening it at all..Only time it has been opened was to take out the krausen collar as per the instructions...
Instructions stated between 22 and 27 and I think I read that better to keep at lower end of scale, hence the temps...The room it is kept in is always around 20 (underfloor heating) so would that be sufficient rather than worrying about getting it to 22?

Haven't tasted it as yet but will do tonight when I get home..How high should I fill the tube before dropping the hydrometer in to check SG...Thinking about 3/4 ways full?

KDeath

Welcome! This is the second post in as many days about the Coopers kits - without throwing too many details at you there are two types of beer, lager and ale. The difference is down to the yeast; lager yeast ferments cold (say 8-12) and ale yeast ferments warm (say 16-22). So basically these kits aren't producing an actual lager but something that tastes like it - that's to be expected given that lagers are harder to brew well than ales and require good temperature control. The point of all this is that 27 degrees is an absolute mental limit to recommend and I seriously doubt the end product would be drinkable at all. I don't know if they're recommending this as they're supplying a smaller yeast packet or to guarantee the beer will ferment out but 22 should be the max you'd want to go for - 18 or 19 would be better.

How are you measuring the temperature? If it's just ambient (i.e. the temperature of the room) bear in mind that a fermenting beer will be slightly warmer due to what's taking place inside; could even be a few degrees warmer if it's a vigorous enough fermentation.

You should have enough liquid in your trial jar (tube) that the hydrometer doesn't hit the bottom when you put it in. The temperature will also make a difference to it but if it's around 20c you can ignore that. If it's still coming out at 0.995 or even 1.000 then something's definitely gone awry - could be an infection as Pheeel said. Did you sanitise your equipment before doing anything and if so what did you use?

tripmeup

thanks for the detailed reply...

So in answer to your queries, here goes...

I kept observing the temperature scale on the stick-on thermometer provided with the kit...I found it hard to see what it was showing to be honest as it doesn't seem as obvious on my kit as it did on the video! For example, if I shone a torch on it, I think I could just make out the highlighted temp ???

Sounds like i need to go for a lower temperature in future too...Ambient room temperature was around 20 to 21....

I will measure the SG again this evening and report back but will probably be the same I expect..
Because the kit was new, I just washed it with warm water before using for the first time....My bad?

I have since bought a bottle of VWP steriliser for the next attempt :rolleyes:

tripmeup

:-[

Ok, so possibly i was panicking a bit early..
I took another reading last night and filled the vessel up sufficiently to allow the hydrometer float properly i.e not hit the bottom and let it settle and the foam/head subside and I got a reading of 1010.
So will measure again tonight and hope for the same reading and if it is, will proceed to bottling stage..

fingers crossed
thanks for the help and I am sure I will be back with more questions!
Going to do an ale next ;)

Pheeel

Issues with your membership? PM me!

Davmcgoo

I just made my second attempt tonight. I made the mistake of following coopers temperature range for my first attempt and had mine sitting at 26C (weather was very warm). End result was not drinkable but hopefully yours is okay. Brewing a lager for my second attempt and have the temperature at 14C.

I've found that the temperature strip is much easier to read if you shine a light on it as you said.

Davmcgoo

With an OG of 1031 and a FG of 1010, am I right in thinking that would be 2.75%?

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

oconn

if everything cleaned and is mixed well. temp kept at a normal room temp coopers kits are tough out. the 1.8kg kit and 1kg DME or 1.5 lme should give about around 4-4.5% no  need for too much poking at it. give it 3 weeks and then taste it.

Davmcgoo

Very handy calculator there DEMPSEY, thanks for that. The reason I ask is that I have a similar starting OG as the original poster and unsure why my beer will end up being so weak.

tripmeup

I am all bottled up now and got a similar ABV as davy there, so weak enough but will see what tastes like.
All in all, I got 30 by 750ml bottles and 3 by 500ml bottles, so now will wait at least 3 weeks before trying one..

Couple of specific questions if someone would answer them please..

On the 500ml bottles that I did at the end when I ran out of 750 ml ones, I still added 2 carbonation drops..What will be impact of this?
It states 2 drops per 750ml bottle so should I have broken in half and added 1 drop and a half one?

For my next brew, I have received Coopers Classic Old Dark Ale and have got Spraymalt Wheat instead of Coopers Brew Enhancer..Is it worth adding/ordering some Hop Pellets to experiment with the taste and usage?

Finally, do many people save glass bottles from beers they buy and re-use with bought caps and a capper? If so, any drawbacks or positives?

thanks again,

johnrm

You should find the carbonation on the 500ml bottles is higher.
If you add too much sugar you end up with bottle bombs.