• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 05:21:44 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Muntons Premium Lager - First attamept

Started by Pereubu, February 18, 2019, 10:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pereubu

Hi all, Im new to all this, Im doing a 5 Gallon kit of Muntons Premium Lager (made with Ale Yeast I assume as the fermentation temps are 18-21c), and it at the end of fermentation according to the instructions.
I am leaving it a few days more as I read thats good to do.
But.. the instruction say that after bottling to store in a warm place for 2 days and then in a cool place for 14 days. My question is what are the temperatures of "warm" and "cool"? Its quite vague.
Thanks in advance.

Oh Crap

Welcome
How long did you fermenter for? If you can wait then leave it for at least 2 weeks
When you bottle, keep the bottles at around 19/20c for at least 2 weeks then put 1 or 2 in the fridge for a couple of days and test them out..
Then enjoy
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

Pereubu

Thanks, its been in the fermenter for 8 days now (instructions said 4-6 days or when gravity is 1.008 I think). Just a bit confusing with 2 days in warm place and 2 weeks in cool place after bottling on the instructions? Is that because its a Lager?
Taken form the instruction PDF - see below....
13. Cap and seal the bottles securely and stand the bottles or pressure barrel in a warm place
for two days.
14. Finally, move the bottles or pressure barrel to a cool place for 14 days or until the beer is
clear, before drinking.

phildo79

Proper lager is supposed to be stored at cellar temp (10 - 12 degrees) for a lot longer. Like 6 weeks. I would not worry about this though. 'Warm' in this instance means anything above 20 degrees or essentially room temp. Cool is probably aiming for the mid teens down to cellar temp.

I woulnd't get massively hung up on this though. I'd be inclined to stick them in the same spot for a fortnight and then try one. At the end of the day, it's a bog standard lager kit. I seriously doubt the contents of your bottles / PB will be affected THAT much because of a difference of a few degrees.