• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:36:09 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

No krausen after 6 days!? Coopers IPA kit

Started by Ulex1, April 24, 2019, 07:11:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulex1

I'm a little worried about this. It's been brewing 6 days and there is little or no krausen to be seen at the moment. I just opened the lid to throw in a bag of hops and there is little or no foam..It looks like the head of a flat pint that's a few hours old, a very thin layer of foam over some of it. I've been smelling the brew every day by pushing down on the lid forcing air through the bubbler and it smells lovely..very fruity and sweet. When I took the lid off, the first smell I got was of spirits, a bit vodka like which I didn't expect. SG has gone from 1.040 to 1.018 in 6 days. Should I be worried about the lack of krausen? Could I have messed it up by pressing on the lid daily, forcing air through the airlock? My friends lager kit had a good 5 inches of krausen, this has pretty much nothing.. Any ideas on where I went wrong? Thanks for reading

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Ulex1

Quote from: DEMPSEY on April 24, 2019, 07:37:02 PM
Sounds normal.
Really? I was expecting a load of foam. Maybe the lager kit just produces more krausen. My friend had his at around 25°C. Mine's at around 20-22°C..maybe my fermentation is just more gradual. And is it a bad idea to press the lid, forcing air out?

LordEoin

You shouldn't have to force any gas out, it'll bubble its way out on its own. but i understand, it smells good!
no harm in it so long as you're not sucking anything into the FV after.
Just leave it alone for another week and you'll be sorted.

By the sounds of it, i'd prefer yours than your friend's. 25° is a silly temperature for a lager. 20-22 a little high but fine for an ale.